Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School switched my status...  (Read 2367 times)

ccdavis198

• View Profile
School switched my status...
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:30:44 PM »
Has this happened to anyone else?

I was accepted to American today, but under the part-time program. I looked at my application to make sure I didn't make a mistake, and I did check the "full-time" box. I do not recall any option to be considered for part-time if you didn't get into full-time, so I don't think that's the issue. Hopefully it is just a mistake.

I am worried though because I was accepted under the binding early decision program; can they switch my status without my permission? I'll call first thing tomorrow morning but I am interested to hear what some of you think.

Thanks.

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: School switched my status...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:12:37 AM »
I'm not sure, but my guess is they can't force you to commit to something you did not agree to commit to.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 12:18:37 PM »
Hmmm. I would check out the fine print. Seems unlikely though.

Just give them a call, they will have better answers than we will. Were your numbers competitive for FT?
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

mertmengelmier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:21:38 PM »
Perhaps at this point they can only offer you PT status, when they get a fuller picture of the application pool and fill thier places and receive declined admissions from people going other places, they will offer you a FT position.

Also, PennyLane is right: just call them and get it sorted.

Good luck.
Obsessively checking a site that really helps us all little.

rfsilv02

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
According to its website, "After careful consideration of an applicant's file, the Committee on Admissions will sometimes accept into the part-time program applicants who have applied to enter as full-time students. This decision is reached after a thorough review of the academic transcripts, LSAT score(s), and other material included for consideration. Another factor that plays a significant role is a view of our applicant pool as a whole. The part-time program allows applicants to begin law school carrying a lighter course load for the first year. Transferring into the full-time program after completion of the first year in academic good standing (C average or better) is accomplished with a request to the dean of students. Law school can be completed in three years by attending two summer sessions. Required second-year course work will be completed in the evening when a transfer of divisions is granted."

Not sure if this is binding though.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »
I would think it would not be unless it was included on the ED agreement. I mean, can a legal responce be "it was on the website" I doubt it.
LSN

PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

ccdavis198

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 11:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with American this morning and it was a mistake (I got someone else's acceptance letter - same name but different program - what are the chances?...)

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »
Were you still accepted though?

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with American this morning and it was a mistake (I got someone else's acceptance letter - same name but different program - what are the chances?...)

oh man that means someone got yours... hopefully they weren't pulling for full time

Hmm, I wonder if the person applied PT/FT and they got the "you got in FT" letter with their name on it, the school would be contractually obligated to give them FT. And real law students want to step in?
LSN

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »
Wow what a huge mistake!!!! Maybe there's someone out there receiving all my acceptance letters.....?   :o