Law School Discussion

"you never know unless you try"

Re: "you never know unless you try"
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »
Am I the only one that keeps hearing that and feels compelled to apply to schools out of my range "just to see"?

And if not, is there a support group for this sort of thing...

Generally speaking, applying to schools out of one's range is a waste of time and money.  HOWEVER, it may be worth the effort if you can bring something very extroadinary to the school.  Prior professional experience helps.  Overcoming extreme adversity helps.  Doing something that few or no other people have done helps.  Work and life experience that shows a high level of commitment to a cause or goal is generally a good thing.

I was a very run-of-the-mill college grad.  I had no prior professional employment, I had good but not spectacular grades, was an active member in several student organizations, and held a leadership position in one organization.  I was therefore not surprised that schools outside my range were quick to reject me.

Talk Is Cheap

• F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 03:35:20 PM »
Life is about taking chances...go for it.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 03:43:09 PM »
If you look at my LSN you'll see I'm a firm believer that if you don't buy the lottery ticket, there is no way you can win!

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 06:56:06 PM »
I agree with the person who started this thread-- you never know unless you try.  I figured that considering the amount of $$ that law school is going to cost, the $$ for applications is just a drop in the bucket.  I would hate to have only applied to a few "safe" schools and then be wondeing "what if" all my life.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »
I did it so I could never say I didn't at least try.

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 07:01:58 PM »
I did it so I could never say I didn't at least try.

Hey I just checked out your LSN account.  Congrats on all your acceptances!!!  Especially Boston College!  That gives my hope, I would love to go there!

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »
Waste of money. Law school is 100% a numbers game. Even your skin color has a quantitative value.

just got into william and mary, chaisu said 13%.  and im a white guy, so other softs count too.

gophils215

• Just need one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »
Waste of money. Law school is 100% a numbers game. Even your skin color has a quantitative value.

just got into william and mary, chaisu said 13%.  and im a white guy, so other softs count too.

That's good news.  Congrats!

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 01:17:01 PM »
Sometimes you know without trying.

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
I think it's a good idea to invest in applying to the reach schools.  Say you estimate you have a 10% chance, and spend $720 applying to the 10% schools.  You have a good chance of acceptance at one of them but let's say it's still just 50%.  If you do get accepted and attend, you're likely to earn >$10,000 more per year starting than you would have at your safety/regular schools.

So for $720 you take a 50/50 risk of earning $10,000 +

Sounds like a good investment to me.

Of course this assumes you will attend those schools, those schools cost relatively the same amount (etc. etc.)

Edit: I'll make you a deal.  I'll front you the $720 cash, but on terms that you have to go if you get accepted, and I get 50% of the marginal difference in your first three years salary compared to the average starting salary of the school you pick as where you would have gone otherwise.