Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop vs. Desktop  (Read 1184 times)

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
Laptop vs. Desktop
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »
I really don't like laptops and would much rather have a desktop at home for law school....does anyone have any thoughts?  Would I be at a disadvantage if I don't have a laptop?

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Laptop vs. Desktop
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »
Well, first you'd have to decide whether you're ok with taking notes on pen and paper. Many law students prefer taking them on their laptop. This is a matter of preference, and you're not at any disadvantage for taking notes on pen if that is what you are comfortable with.

The vast majority (at least here) do take their exams on laptop though. I think you would be at a disadvantage if you decided to take your exams by hand. It's just so much easier to organize and edit your essays using a computer. However, there are ways to rent/borrow laptops for exam period, you don't necessarily have to own one.

With that said, you'd be ok with a desktop only, but I strongly recommend having a laptop. It really makes life easier for me  - I can get work done on my computer no matter where I am as there's wireless everywhere these days. Laptops are also getting smaller and cheaper, which is great for law students.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

courtz1686

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
I had a laptop in undergrad, and I usually took notes by hand because I remember things better if I physically write things down. But I found it handy to have my laptop in class every day anyway so I could check my e-mail whenever I wanted without having to sign in on a computer in the computer labs (which usually took forever). Also, it was much easier to study in the library when I had a laptop to look things up/type study guides instead of being chained to a library computer. So you might want to consider that.

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »
You can always get a dock to hook your laptop up to a big monitor at your desk where you can use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

I think this is the best solution to save money and give you a desktop computer experience when you're working at home (wherever "home" might be).  I do this already...works great with a 22" LCD.
CLS 2011.  All done.

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:17:54 AM »
So the final question....Mac vs. IBM-compatible - does it matter?

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »

Two questions:

1) Which do you prefer?
2) Does your LS have an explicit requirement, particularly for exams?

That's really what it should come down to.  Me, I'm a diehard Mac user and you couldn't pay me to get another PC, but I don't expect everyone to feel the same way.  Most schools allow either these days (because Macs can now run Windows), so you should be fine either way - but don't take my word for it.  Double check with your schools. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:58:01 AM »
I suggest this computer for all law applicants, might as well be prepared for any app that you may have to run...MS Word, Excel, Crysis

Hint:  Make sure to go with the 2TB additional storage server.

http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/area-51_m9750/area-51m_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51M9750&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 10:05:27 AM »

Two questions:

1) Which do you prefer?

That's really what it should come down to.  Me, I'm a diehard Mac user and you couldn't pay me to get another PC, but I don't expect everyone to feel the same way.  Most schools allow either these days (because Macs can now run Windows), so you should be fine either way - but don't take my word for it.  Double check with your schools. 

I definitely prefer Macs but am hearing a lot about needing PC's for exams...I don't want to hate myself next December!

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 10:11:23 AM »

Two questions:

1) Which do you prefer?

I definitely prefer Macs but am hearing a lot about needing PC's for exams...I don't want to hate myself next December!

A lot of that is fearmongering.  I don't personally know of any schools that require PCs anymore.  Plenty of schools still use PC-only exam software, but to my knowledge most of them allow you to run that software on a dual-boot Mac.  For my 1L year, I used a Macbook Pro and only booted into Windows for exams.  This year, my school allowed us to use the Mac exam software, so even people with old-school Macs were fine.

But I stress, double-check with your schools rather than take my word for it.     
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 04:25:40 PM »
Wow, I haven't heard the phrase "IBM-compatible" in like ten years.
[/quote]

Haha point well taken - I had just read it one of the law school's websites and it just came out that way.