Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Advice  (Read 1066 times)

Oldguy48

• View Profile
    • Email
Any Advice
« on: January 03, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »
So I am applying for fall of 08 and basically got a disappointing 159 on the December LSAT (all my practice test were between 163 and 167).  Since I am applying to night programs I was pretty clear on which schools this would be an issue with (along with 3.3 gpa).  For Fordham I have already decided to retake the LSAT in February and asked them to wait to review application until that score is in-- (IMO less than 164 and I don't have much of a shot).  BUT for St. Johns I am in a weird place.  Median LSAT is 161 and I worry that if have them hold the application until March (when second score will be in) I may actually hurt my chances even if score is higher since so much of the class will be filled already.  Any ideas?

thanks

66scorer

• View Profile
Re: Any Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
Like you, I am applying part-time evening.  The average LSAT score for that program might be lower than the average for the whole school.  The school to which I am applying for part-time has a an LSAT that is lower by 3 points.  My score is dead in the middle for the law school as a whole, but in the 75% of the part-time program.

Not sure if this will be true for St. John's, but you might look into it before asking them to hold your app or even recommiting to a retake.

Hope that helps!
February '05 LSAT - 157
UGPA 3.11

"Why are we violent but not illiterate?
Because we are taught to read."
Colman McCarthy

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any Advice
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:13:22 PM »
What's your GPA like? The 161 you referenced for St John's is for their FT day program, not their PT evening program. I believe their 25/75 is closer to a 155/157 for the evening program, so your 159 should be fine. Of course, a 161 will/should get you some money, whereas the 159 may not. I didn't apply to St John's until late January, recieved my acceptance in mid-March. I'm not sure what it's like waiting until March to apply.
Good Luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY