Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSDAS GPA  (Read 24898 times)

WashLaw

• View Profile
Re: LSDAS GPA
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2008, 10:13:26 AM »
If your grades changed completely when you transferred schools, law schools would see that and surmise that the first school was not a good fit for you, so an addendum that explains that might not be necessary. However, it might not look good that you had to transfer "down" (no offense but UT-Dallas is just not considered to be on the same level as Austin) to get good grades, so you might want to explain your reasons for transferring - that Austin was not simply too hard for you. What law school would want you if you can't perform at a challenging school?

Good point. I had actually transferred to UT Dallas because I had to move back home to take care of my mom. I could've easily just changed majors and stayed at UT Austin. My mom's deteriorating condition contributed to my shoddy grades at UT Austin (not to mention it was a much harder major), but I don't want to use her health as an excuse. It just sounds so typical, you know? Would you recommend doing this?

Really this just confirms that you need to write an addendum. Your mother's health is not an "excuse". If you were truly caring for her and needed to be with her, adcoms will understand. You now have 2 very good explanations for your grades: 1. you were mother's health 2. you were in a major that didn't fit. You can then explain that after you moved closer to your mom and switched majors, you began receiving your stellar grades. 

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 10:53:19 AM »
If your grades changed completely when you transferred schools, law schools would see that and surmise that the first school was not a good fit for you, so an addendum that explains that might not be necessary. However, it might not look good that you had to transfer "down" (no offense but UT-Dallas is just not considered to be on the same level as Austin) to get good grades, so you might want to explain your reasons for transferring - that Austin was not simply too hard for you. What law school would want you if you can't perform at a challenging school?

Good point. I had actually transferred to UT Dallas because I had to move back home to take care of my mom. I could've easily just changed majors and stayed at UT Austin. My mom's deteriorating condition contributed to my shoddy grades at UT Austin (not to mention it was a much harder major), but I don't want to use her health as an excuse. It just sounds so typical, you know? Would you recommend doing this?

Really this just confirms that you need to write an addendum. Your mother's health is not an "excuse". If you were truly caring for her and needed to be with her, adcoms will understand. You now have 2 very good explanations for your grades: 1. you were mother's health 2. you were in a major that didn't fit. You can then explain that after you moved closer to your mom and switched majors, you began receiving your stellar grades. 

Again, I would suggest staying away from looking to excuse your grades by complaining about your mother's health, your school, and your major. Sounds whiny and pretty pathetic. Why didn't you take a term off? Why couldn't you handle a harder school and major? There are going to be classes in law school that you have to take that "don't fit," telling adcoms that you can only succeed in classes you enjoy might not be the best strategy.

Instead, I would use the addendum to explain that you transferred because of your mother's health, NOT because you couldn't handle UT-Austin. Adcoms will see that you improved after the transfer and will reach most of the conclusions you want themselves, your goal in the addendum is to make sure they don't reach the conclusion you don't want - that is that you transferred schools because Austin was simply too hard for you.

But that's just one man's opinion.
Best of luck to everyone!

Lzero

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »
Great advice General Yankee and WashLaw. Do either of you mind if I PM you sometime after I've crafted my addendum?

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »
Great advice General Yankee and WashLaw. Do either of you mind if I PM you sometime after I've crafted my addendum?

Well I'm far from an expert at these things but I'll take a look.

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »

Go right ahead
Best of luck to everyone!

The Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 04:08:57 AM »
QUESTION REGARDING LSDAS GPA: IS YOUR LSDAS GPA EXPLICITLY LISTED FOR YOU ON THE LSAC WESBITE OR DO YOU JUST HAVE TO CALCULATE IT YOURSELF?

i haven't signed up for the lsdas yet and i'm wondering if your recalculated lsdas gpa is shown to you on the website or do you have to rely on your own mock recalculation.

thanks.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »
QUESTION REGARDING LSDAS GPA: IS YOUR LSDAS GPA EXPLICITLY LISTED FOR YOU ON THE LSAC WESBITE OR DO YOU JUST HAVE TO CALCULATE IT YOURSELF?

i haven't signed up for the lsdas yet and i'm wondering if your recalculated lsdas gpa is shown to you on the website or do you have to rely on your own mock recalculation.

thanks.

It's computed by LSDAS after you've submitted all transcripts and the summary is on the LSAC website.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

GiovannaD

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »
can anyone kindly tell me if the LSDAS GPA averages in/or takes account to remedial pass or fail grades? I took a remedial math class 3 x and failed it 3x (pathetic I know) and I'm afraid that the fail is going to screw up my 3.8 gpa. please help! Also, in place of an F, I got an R instead, so the F is not on my transcript, but an R is still failing.
also, does anyone know if study abroad credits are averaged in as well?

My next question is whether or not the LSDAS system calculates A grades that are of different credits earned. I have a handful of A's that are 1 credit courses that fluffled my gpa, but I do also have 3 semesters of full time A's which are 3 cr. courses. Will the A's be calculated differently?

TIA!