Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: survey: computer programmers with WE?  (Read 2419 times)

Anonymous_One

• View Profile
Re: survey: computer programmers with WE?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2004, 09:40:39 AM »
I still have to get into school (got the apps out, keep your fingers crossed) but I am looking to get into criminal law.  I already have the technical degree, so in theory i could go into IP law, but that just sounds like more of the same to me.

I really want to get away from working to increase someone else's bottom line, and start working helping people, which is not quite possible working in this field.

Something to keep in mind when going to lawschoolnumbers.com is that the percentage of people working in software may be highly overreported because we spend more time online than almost any other employmee segment, and as a result are likely to overreport on services like lawschoolnumbers.

I actually did write my PS about computers/technology, but it was more about how the skills required to go far in software engineering are applicable to law school.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2004, 04:07:40 PM »
Im willing to bet there are tens of thousands of IT peeps in the application pool this year.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 06:43:32 PM »
I bet so.  I know I am one of them :-)  At least the campus computing guys won't be slammed with people needing to know how to get their laptops to work!

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 07:21:50 PM »
i'm another :)  but I'm not really looking too hard at IP law... it's just one of many possibilities...

jgomez

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 07:25:30 PM »
well, as long as the 1000's of IT guys are applying to different schools across the country, hopefully we won't cross each other too much to really be a problem.   :(

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2004, 07:30:07 PM »
Well, I only applied at Colorado schools.  But then again, since it seems everyone I know in IT in Denver has been laid off at least once, maybe this is where all the IT/soon to be law school students are :-)

Anonymous_One

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2004, 10:11:01 AM »
I too am sure there are thousands of IT applicants in the pool, but the pool is REALLY FREAKIN HUGE... I doubt we even make up a percentage point of that pool.  I mean look at the undergraduate majors of people enterring law school that the schools put out.  On all of the schools perspecti that I examined there was rarely more than one or two people who had a computer science degree in the enterring class.

Sure there are tons of IT people who have been laid off (I was one of em), but its not like all of us decided on law school as a different path, think of how many IT guys you know who went MBA instead for example (I can count at least 3 of these among my friends/colleagues, but only one who is applying to law school like me)

Don't worry, your experience makes you "special", there aren't enough of us applying to negate the uniqueness of our apps... NOW GET BACK TO CODING YOU CODE MONKEES!

jgomez

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2004, 11:12:37 AM »
most of you guys applying for a part time or full program? 

I was thinking about full because it's way faster and you have more time to study, but then again, i was thinking about part time, because just in case the field gets more saturated than it alread is, i at least still have my current job (that's if they don't all go to india :) )

jgruber

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2004, 11:24:06 AM »
I'm going to a night school and planning on keeping the day job in IT.  I don't really have a choice.

The program is one year longer (4 years) with summers off.  I think I read somewhere that the program at the Birmingham School of Law is optionally a three year program, but no summers off.

most of you guys applying for a part time or full program? 

I was thinking about full because it's way faster and you have more time to study, but then again, i was thinking about part time, because just in case the field gets more saturated than it alread is, i at least still have my current job (that's if they don't all go to india :) )