Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: survey: computer programmers with WE?  (Read 2420 times)

iluvcats1977

• LSAT Dec '04, 3.36 UGPA, 3.48 MBA Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iluvcats
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: survey: computer programmers with WE?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 05:19:53 PM »
I'm a computer programmer, 4 years WE.  Hope to be a 1L this fall!  :D

apartment

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 11:39:46 PM »
I don't think any fields are really unique anymore, unless you are a professional clown or violin maker or ballroom dancer or something like that.

I wouldn't sweat the PS unless you wrote it all about how computing makes you special.  Then maybe it will sound silly, but you are allowed a little bit of well-written self-delusion.  Doubt the adcoms are really wowed by many essays anymore.  No, not even the one Al Gore wrote about inventing the internet.

jgruber

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 09:39:47 AM »
19 years experience as a programmer and accepted for the fall 2004.  And by the time I finish school I'll have 23 years experience, cuz I can't quit the day job for law school.

:P

jgruber

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 09:42:26 AM »
I don't think any fields are really unique anymore, unless you are a professional clown or violin maker or ballroom dancer or something like that.

I wouldn't sweat the PS unless you wrote it all about how computing makes you special.  Then maybe it will sound silly, but you are allowed a little bit of well-written self-delusion.  Doubt the adcoms are really wowed by many essays anymore.  No, not even the one Al Gore wrote about inventing the internet.

I thought I'd be safe in claiming to be the only violin playing, ballroom dancing, clowning computer programmer going to law school.   :'(

jgomez

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 12:08:09 PM »
jgruber,
i can't believe it, 19 years.  i'm already sick of it at 8 years.  congrats.

dta

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2004, 01:25:18 PM »
The thought of reading dense, dry contracts is pure ecstasy after 7 years (more in school) of "if (x == y) then InsertToDatabase(x, y)".

Anonymous_One

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2004, 08:06:07 PM »
The thought of reading dense, dry contracts is pure ecstasy after 7 years (more in school) of "if (x == y) then InsertToDatabase(x, y)".

Bwahahahah... too true, I am with you there.  I am a software engineer w/10 years WE in the field, and while i have had the pleasure of working on some really neat projects, its time for a change.

Cheers,
Chris

jgomez

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2004, 07:51:57 PM »
what are you guys planning on practicing?  IP law?  internet law?  copyright law?  something sort of related to the field?

just wondering.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2004, 08:39:42 PM »
I'm curious about what area the computer people want to practice in too.  I've been working in system administration for almost the past 4 years while getting my MS and applied to law school last fall.  I was considering studying intellectual property/internet law type areas but now am thinking in the next 3-5 years the market might end up saturated with computer geeks venturing into the legal field.

P.S. After reading several of the comments, I'm really glad I didn't take the "I've really into computers so I'm unique" approach to my PS (several of my rough drafts were definitely heading that way to begin with though)  :P

iluvcats1977

• LSAT Dec '04, 3.36 UGPA, 3.48 MBA Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iluvcats
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2004, 10:10:57 PM »
I have to admit, one of the perks of getting into law school is the fact that I can leave programming behind forever :-)  I'm so sick of sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day, writing code.  I like the analysis part of my job, but hate the coding.  I don't get to interact with people very much in my position, and I look forward to changing fields and being able to work with people, not so much computers.

I'm not sure what field of law I want to go into.  I've considered cyberspace law -- with a background in e-commerce I am already aware first-hand of many legal issues in the biz. But I almost feel like I'd like to focus more on the business side.  I just finished an MBA, so I'm also considering corporate law.  Guess I'll figure this all out when I get there  :D  But first, I have to get into law school....

Good luck to all of you out there!!