Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan v. Georgetown  (Read 1514 times)

michigander

• View Profile
Michigan v. Georgetown
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »
I've been accepted to both Michigan and Georgetown and hypothetically if I don't get into any other schools, I am having some difficulty picking between the two. I am especially interested in public service, so GULC's programs and DC location would be great, but I like Michigan's size and I know that it is ranked higher. Any comparative advice you all could offer?

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan v. Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:54:22 AM »
Both are great options and I don't think you can go wrong.  Both schools have fantastic programs for your interests.

In the end, it probably comes down to which environment you want to live in for the next three years.  Michigan has a beautiful campus, but it's not exactly metropolitan.  If that's important to you, GULC would appear to get the nod.

My advice: Go to the ASW for both schools, immerse yourself in the environment, and then make a decision based on which one resonates the best with you. 
Columbia 2011

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 12:47:33 PM »
I personally didn't even apply to Michigan because I know I don't want to live there, but I agree with aporia that you should visit both and make your decision based on that.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »
Georgetown is certainly better located than Michigan, but as far as career prospects, I've heard nothing but fantastic things about Michigan - it might be the better school if you ignore things like location and personal preference.  It's definitely harder to get into than Georgetown and more highly ranked on any list you look at, if those things matter a lot to you.
Vandy Law 2011

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 02:01:18 PM »
Michigan pros: higher rank, somewhat better biglaw and clerkship placement, slightly better academia placement, benefits of small city (less traffic, lower cost of living), smaller (but not small) and tight-knit student body

Georgetown pros: more laymen's prestige, big city

Honestly, that's all I can think of.  Georgetown is a great school, but for me it's not a hard choice between the two.  This is exaggerated by the fact that I've been out of school a few years and wasn't willing to make a huge step backwards in lifestyle in terms of being poor in the city, compared to being a professional in the suburbs.  The move to being a single-income couple in AA was much smoother.  And as much as I liked living in the DC metro area, I don't mind AT ALL taking a break from city life for a few years.  I know I'll be back in a city upon graduation.

Michigan is very public service friendly, so I don't think that would be a problem here.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Morning Star

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »
As others have already said, both are great choices and you can't go wrong with either.  Ultimately, it might just come down to whether you want to live in DC or in AA for the next three years.  Attend ASW for both, talk with current students, and make up your mind then.  You still have a lot of time for that.
CLS 2011

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »
I think the location thing gets exaggerated a bit.  Ann Arbor's not exactly in the middle of a corn field somewhere.  I mean, I moved here from Manhattan and I'm rarely at a loss to entertain myself. 

DC is a big city, Ann Arbor is a small city.  No question.  But remember:

* Georgetown is in a really desolate part of DC.  I worked across the street from the law campus this summer, and it sucked.  There are no restaurants or coffee shops or much of anything in the immediate vicinity. 

* There's a major airport 20 miles from Ann Arbor.  There's a good bus system, Zipcar, much better sports (at the professional and college level), decent nightlife, tons of live music, good restaurants, affordable housing, great public libraries.  Etc., ad infinitum.   

Other than the Metro, Grover Norquist and lots of hot air, I can't think of much that DC has that Ann Arbor doesn't. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 03:08:57 PM »
Anyone who's capable of getting into both of those schools might break CCN and should get Penn, UVa, and even Berkeley.  It's a little premature for this type of analysis.

That said, Michigan by a long shot.  Anyone who thinks that AA doesn't have a "big-city" feel is seriously deluded; it's definitely not a small town or anything of that sort.

Yikes, Walls.  Didn't know you were so anti-GULC.

to the OP:  Michigan ranks better and that's important.  Most would go there because of that and I wouldn't say that they were wrong.  I like Ann Arbor too and think it's considerably more sophisticated than almost any other town of its size in the US.  That said, I'd go with GULC because I like the location and, frankly, I seriously doubt the decision would be a career killer.  I'm following my own advice, so you can take it for what it's worth.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:14:01 PM »
Mager, what public service options interest you?  Georgetown's location will make it logistically easier to get internships in DC, and that can be pretty important if you want to work in Congress or certain executive branch agencies.  If you are more interested in DOJ or State, I'd think the Michigan degree might be more useful since both those places have plenty of GULC credentialed applicants for their jobs.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »
Michigan >>>>>>>>> GULC.

GULC is a TTT in decline.
Michigan 2L