Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FAFSA Questions  (Read 4918 times)

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FAFSA Questions
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »
I don't believe they can see what other schools you sent it to. General practice is to send one FAFSA to all the schools, unless you're applying to more schools than the FAFSA lets you submit to, in which case you would submit 2 identical FAFSAs, one each to half the schools.

paperclip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »
How about if I live with my fiance, who is a full-time student with no income?  Is he my dependent?  I have a full-time job, and he contributes his share with student loans.  We're not married, but all of our money is in a joint checking and savings account.

Also, isn't there some special form to fill out if you plan to quit your job upon starting law school?

kate625

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 05:50:28 PM »
does anyone have advice on timing for the fafsa?

i had planned to wait until i got my w2 forms to fill out fafsa, etc. But I just realized northwestern wants both the fafsa and the need access forms completed by feb. 1. since my w2 forms don't have to be mailed until jan 31, it looks like i need to change plans.

does anyone have experience with this? my taxes are going to be a mess (i was freelance half the year, had a staff job half the year) so i'm leery of filling out an estimated fafsa because i don't want to mess anything up. is it possible to fill out an estimated fafsa for nu, then fill out another one after i get my taxes done?

i'm new to this, so all advice is appreciated.

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
  • All reality. None of it scripted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
From what I read on the website, 1/3 of FAFSA applications get audited.

Just use your latest work stubs/bank records to estimate your interest, wages, and taxes. This will probably be very close to the actual tax return you file. If not, you can always edit your FAFSA. Just be sure to edit if it changes, in case you get audited and have to turn in W2s, etc.!

Now if you itemize, I have no idea how to help you, because I just file the easy way for right now...

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 06:49:41 PM »
If you itemize, work out your deductions now. Otherwise, you won't be able to fill out the FAFSA accurately.

At least you'll have your taxes done early.

:: curses complicated taxes brought on by self-employed husband ::

kate625

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 07:52:23 PM »
thanks for the advice, siskiyoumtn and alan. i appreciate it.

i'm one of the complicated self-employed people. was hoping to have a tax guy sort out my deductions (i am going to have to itemize) but i only want to pay him to do the real taxes... not any estimates of them i'll have to do for fafsa. looks like i'm going to become very acquainted with the tax system in the next few days...

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 07:58:45 PM »
Kate, go check out one of those how-to tax books from the library. They're helpful. Also, pick up every tax form you think you may need, plus the instruction books the IRS publishes. Don't forget the self-employment tax form -- and if I remember correctly, you can deduct that extra 7.5 % self employment tax... Um, anyway, what I'm trying to say is doing complicated taxes on your own can be done with some research and patience!

Good luck!

NYU2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 08:01:50 PM »
tag