Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FAFSA Questions  (Read 4869 times)

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
FAFSA Questions
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
I didn't fill out a FAFSA for undergrad, so this is a totally new thing for me.. just a couple questions:

"Money received, or paid on your behalf (e.g., bills), not reported elsewhere on this form"

Does this include tuition my parents paid? Do I need to declare the money my parents gave me for rent?

For school codes
I don't know which schools I've been admitted to yet, so should I just list every school I applied to regardless of my status?
There are only 10 spots on the FAFSA, is there anyway to add another 5 schools somehow?

Independent status
So, does everyone applying for law school apply as an independent on their FAFSA? One of the prereqs for independent status is entering graduate school in 2008, so wouldn't everyone get that?

Thanks for any help!

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FAFSA Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:51:58 PM »
Some answers, to the best of my knowledge:

"Money received, or paid on your behalf (e.g., bills), not reported elsewhere on this form"

Does this include tuition my parents paid? Do I need to declare the money my parents gave me for rent?

This definitely includes the rent your parents paid, and probably includes tuition, unless the ask about tuition elsewhere on the form.

For school codes
I don't know which schools I've been admitted to yet, so should I just list every school I applied to regardless of my status?
There are only 10 spots on the FAFSA, is there anyway to add another 5 schools somehow?

You'll have to submit a second (identical) FAFSA for the 5 more schools.

Independent status
So, does everyone applying for law school apply as an independent on their FAFSA? One of the prereqs for independent status is entering graduate school in 2008, so wouldn't everyone get that?

Yes, you get to apply as an independent, because you're a law school applicant.

Hope this helps...

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 10:59:29 PM »
Thank you for your responses. That was indeed helpful.

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »
Not a problem. I have had a lot of experience with the good ol' FAFSA.

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:11:42 PM »
FAFSA is way over my head.
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »
Another question...
When it asks:
Do you want to answer questions about your parents?

Note: You may want to answer the parental questions if:

* You are a health profession student (such as a medical or nursing student), or
    * Your school requires parental information from all students

How do you determine if a school requires parental information? Do I need to send one FAFSA for schools that do require parental information and one for those that don't?
I know BC requires a copy of your parents tax returns and W2s, but does that mean I don't need to include their info on the FAFSA?

I hate this stuff... :'(

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 09:51:50 PM »
Another question...
When it asks:
Do you want to answer questions about your parents?

Note: You may want to answer the parental questions if:

* You are a health profession student (such as a medical or nursing student), or
    * Your school requires parental information from all students

How do you determine if a school requires parental information? Do I need to send one FAFSA for schools that do require parental information and one for those that don't?
I know BC requires a copy of your parents tax returns and W2s, but does that mean I don't need to include their info on the FAFSA?

I hate this stuff... :'(

I'm not sure on this one. I would say call the schools in question and ask if they require parental information, then send one FAFSA to schools that require it, and one to those that don't.

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 10:18:47 PM »
I'm not an expert by any means, but I have plenty of experience filing a FAFSA as a working, married, independent student. I'll try to help.

My advice right now is don't try to fill out the FAFSA until you get all your tax documents: your W2s and 1099s, etc. It makes it a lot easier to have those docs.

If you're married, wait till your spouse has his/her tax documents in, too.

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
  • All reality. None of it scripted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 10:22:28 PM »
tag

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 03:31:10 PM »
So, should you include only the schools to which you know you've been admitted already or others as well?
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777