Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Starting law school on the sly?  (Read 2206 times)

Oldguy48

• View Profile
    • Email
Starting law school on the sly?
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:47:31 PM »
my After waiting almost 25 years to finish the last 24 credits of undergraduate degree I found myself connecting with an old desire to become a lawyer.  I am in the process of applying to law schools (night programs) but with a wife, 3 kids, oldest to start college in the fall,  and 1/3 share of my own business I'm a little concerned about burning any bridges.  I have been planning, for at least the first year, to try to keep this attempt my own dirty little secret, in order to avoid the (premature) inevitable discussions with my partners about where this may lead.  Anyone have any kind of similar situation?  Any insight would be most appreciated.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
Re: Starting law school on the sly?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 02:53:38 PM »
my After waiting almost 25 years to finish the last 24 credits of undergraduate degree I found myself connecting with an old desire to become a lawyer.  I am in the process of applying to law schools (night programs) but with a wife, 3 kids, oldest to start college in the fall,  and 1/3 share of my own business I'm a little concerned about burning any bridges.  I have been planning, for at least the first year, to try to keep this attempt my own dirty little secret, in order to avoid the (premature) inevitable discussions with my partners about where this may lead.  Anyone have any kind of similar situation?  Any insight would be most appreciated.

This sounds like a bad idea.  Everything I have heard about the LS experience indicates that one needs support from many people to make it through, especially with the other commitments you mention (family, etc.).  Your partners, if they are good people you trust (and if they aren't, why are you in business with them!?), should respect your decision and support you as best they can.

Don't let them take your dream, but sneaking around isn't the answer either.

gdogg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:34:03 AM »
If you're going to jump into law school, why not sell your share of the business?  You could use the money now, and the reduction in time committment.  Im in a somewhat similar situation with family, oldest going to college next fall, owning businesses, etc.  I however am looking to "downsize" property and business, take a very limited role in what remains, and devote what is needed to LS.

Oldguy48

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 08:53:33 AM »
That is essentially my plan after the first year.  My concern is that my business is very much dependent our (the owners) participation-- it is a photography studio.  Selling my third would be a little complicated and my primary fear, as perhaps some of you may share, is that at 48 will I be able to handle the rigors of working and going to school?  If not, I should know in the first year and if I choose to stay in my partnership there would be "no harm done."  I'm not totally unconfident, in the 6 courses I took to finished my BA I got 2 As and 4 A+s  (two from professors who said that they don't give A+s), but I just feel the need to hedge my bets a little.  I just wonder if it is do-able and it kind of feels a little like cheating on my wife (something I would not do).

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »
IMO your experience and work ethic would serve as a benefit when dealing with the rigors of LS. At least for me that was the case during my second stint @ undergrad. I had about 5 years of full time work experience and even then I felt at an advantage over the freshmen and other underclassmen in terms of handling the work and being organized, dealing with pressure, etc.

pjdroney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 11:04:17 AM »
I found your post to be very interesting. I am 49, just received my BS in Public Safety Administration, and am trying to decide whether to get my MS in Criminal Justice or go to law school. I have been a police officer for 28 years and am looking to retire in the next few years, possibly sooner. I've always been interested in getting my law degree. I'm glad to know there are others out there in similar circumstances.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »
i turn 48 next month, am a 2L and in the top 25% while working damn near full time....

you can do it if you want it.  wouldnt recommend it for 1L first semester cuz you need that time to get acclimated to the "law school" (read ass-backward) way of doing things.  after that, i think you can do it.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

laughing_heir

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 09:14:38 PM »
I don't think you should feel guilty about not mentioning it at this time.  Wait to see where you've been accepted, work out a gameplan to deal with the work issues, and then talk to your partners.

I'm also waiting for acceptance letters, and I would never have gotten this far if I hadn't told myself to take it one step at a time.

gabagool

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 03:58:05 PM »
Oldguy48

I am just starting to think about going to law school because frankly, I have fallen out of love with my business. I too have partners and I ABSOLUTELY understand what you are saying.  If it doesn't work out, no harm done.  If I go forward with this thing, I may approach it the same way.  My pay is good, my hours are my own (though I should be there 24/7)but the thought of being there forever knocks me on my arse.

I am just turning 48.  Could you give me any info or good sites that tell the truth about attending law school at such an advanced age. I am starting to form some opinions, haven't decided if they are correct. Care to fill me in?  Thanks for any info whatsoever.

LSRN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »
Hey!  Who are you calling old!!!  ;)

I am in my third year of a PT program.  I started at age 48 and will be 51 when I graduate in 2009.  I work FT-plus.  Challenging yes, but it has been one of the best experiences of my life.  Because of my "advanced age" I have a great network and already have some job prospects upon graduation (and I am solidly in the middle grade-wise).  Prospective employers are more interested in my professional experience combined with a law degree.  Great site for nontrads is  http://www.nontradlaw.net/