Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP! Should I apply to Harvard and Yale with 162 and 175?  (Read 1170 times)

myz888

• View Profile
    • Email
HELP! Should I apply to Harvard and Yale with 162 and 175?
« on: December 31, 2007, 02:20:05 PM »
Guys, I've actually taken the LSAT 3 times- 160, 162, and 175.  I've already written an addendum for such a huge discrepancy. 

I'm a bit worried b/c DeLoggio said that many law school disregard the 3rd score, I'm dead if this was the case

I'm already applying to U. Virginia, Chicago, and Berkeley, and U. Texas.

Should i apply to the other top 12 schools such as Columbia, Stanford, Yale, etc?  I really want to go to these schools.

PS my GPA is a solid 4.0, what do you think my chances are?  Should I apply?

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Should I apply to Harvard and Yale with 162 and 175?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:23:44 PM »
I don't think many schools disregard the third score, but I know Harvard, Stanford, and maybe Yale do average.  Your average works out to a 166, so I would imagine the top three are out.  You probably have a good chance at Columbia and other T-14s assuming they buy your addendum.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:26:55 PM »
What do you have to lose? Apply to any school in the T14 you'd like to attend.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 02:29:46 PM »
Though Yale and Stanford are unlikely, you should definitely apply to Harvard. While your situation is tricky because of three LSAT scores, I think HLS is leaning towards weighing the highest LSAT scores when paired with a very high GPA this cycle. Quite a few of us 3.9+ and 174+ multiple LSAT applicants have been accepted already this year acoording to LSN.

I don't think many schools, including Harvard, can afford to pass up applicants that help boost both LSAT and GPA percentiles in their rankings.

Edit: Didn't see the other schools on your list. Definitely apply to Columbia as well - I'd be surprised if you weren't accepted.
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 02:30:25 PM »
Definitely apply
Penn Law Class of 2011

Morning Star

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 02:38:23 PM »
You should make up your mind pretty soon.  It's already January and you're only hurting your chances if you wait longer.
CLS 2011

myz888

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 03:03:30 PM »
You should make up your mind pretty soon.  It's already January and you're only hurting your chances if you wait longer.

Thanks, but I've already submitted my applications for the five schools I mentioned above.

I can fill out the applications for the other schools within a single day, besides, LSAC and admission offices are going to open until Jan 3rd.

I think I'll scratch out stanford and yale.  I may go just for harvard and columbia.

myz888

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 03:11:46 PM »
Though Yale and Stanford are unlikely, you should definitely apply to Harvard. While your situation is tricky because of three LSAT scores, I think HLS is leaning towards weighing the highest LSAT scores when paired with a very high GPA this cycle. Quite a few of us 3.9+ and 174+ multiple LSAT applicants have been accepted already this year acoording to LSN.

I don't think many schools, including Harvard, can afford to pass up applicants that help boost both LSAT and GPA percentiles in their rankings.

Edit: Didn't see the other schools on your list. Definitely apply to Columbia as well - I'd be surprised if you weren't accepted.

sorry, but when you mentioned "174+ multiple LSAT", do you mean the scores average out to be 174+, or do you mean that the highest scores are 174+?

I thought the Deloggio site and a similar post in this forum said that Harvard only average.

Although i would die to go to harvard...

joyce615

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 03:31:48 PM »
If you died, you wouldn't be going to Harvard.

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 05:07:16 PM »
Just apply to all the schools. You will never know if you can get in if you don't try. None of the people on hear can really get know how each of the adcomms think. You may be lucky when they look at your file and something sparks and you get accepted. With the new rule of them accepting the highest score you may have a chance to get in because it won't hurt their rankings (thye only have to report the highest score).

GO for it. You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.