Re: Is 2.7 a low curve?
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 10:41:51 AM »
Great post Matthies.

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: Is 2.7 a low curve?
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »
El Che's logic only works if the scholarship kids are even distributed across sections. Many schools will "stack" scholarship kids disproportionately so they can eliminate more scholarships. Some schools even have the audacity to put ALL of the scholarship students in the same section, which really cuts down on having to pay out scholarships for years 2 and 3.

There are a few scholarships I've been offered that require a 3.0 or above, and the schools are required to give 3.0 or above to 30-45% of the class (depending on the schools). So just ask yourself if you feel lucky enough to be in the top third when grades roll around, and if you would still consider the school if you had to pay full price for 2 years.

So the scholarship would last at LEAST a year right?  They wouldn't drop it after the first semester or something?  How does billing for law schools work?

True, I forgot to mention that part, so add that onto the list of things you have feel lucky about being able to compete with in order to retain your scholarships.

As an aside, are there any threads that have lists of schools that are notoriously bad about putting their scholarship kids into the same sections? I have heard about a few different schools where this is the case, but there should be a thread with a master list, as I think this is a big factor in many people's decisions.