Law School Discussion

Challenge for tier 2 0Ls - find a good job

Re: Challenge for tier 2 0Ls - find a good job
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »
Getting an interview and getting a job are two entirely differnt things.

Impressive that you figured this out, but again, proper responses to this thread should look like:

Name of employer
Description of job
Compensation
Contact person

The employer must be willing to interview average/median tier 2 students.

« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2008, 11:33:24 AM »
For example (and this is for a Tax LLM, ouch!)

Attorney - Tax Boutique

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: job-568650951@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-02-09, 5:30PM EST

Premier tax boutique seeks entry to jr/mid level tax attorney. Mostly tax planning and asset protection for high-profile clients, including entertainers, although occasionally assist in litigation as well, such as fraudulent conveyances or forfeitures. Requires tax schooling for entry position (such as tax LLM) or 1 year plus of tax experience for the jr/mid-level position.

Firm can hire either on a straight permanent or temp-to-perm basis. The salary for the jr/mid-level position is to $90K whereas the salary for the entry level position is to $60K.

Compensation: .
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2008, 11:38:48 AM »
By the way, there won't be any NYU Tax LLMs applying for that $60k job.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »
Should I feel ashamed thinking that a 60k a year tax boutique job with benefits and perhaps a company car is a fine place to start your career?  I assume that you wont be working 80+ billable hours...

« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »
Should I feel ashamed thinking that a 60k a year tax boutique job with benefits and perhaps a company car is a fine place to start your career?  I assume that you wont be working 80+ billable hours...

Let's see, get a CPA and a $60k tax job, or get a JD and LLM and a $60k tax job. Which should I choose? Which - should - I - choose?

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2008, 12:00:02 PM »
Ah, didnt know the LLM is required, I thought you posted a reasonable job.

« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2008, 12:02:32 PM »
a.) The only practical way to beat this challenge is to find a job listed on the Internet
b.) Top jobs are not posted on the Internet

Therefore, there is no way to beat this challenge

« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2008, 12:09:18 PM »
Ah, didnt know the LLM is required, I thought you posted a reasonable job.

If you're going to work in Tax, you should just get a CPA and start making $60k out of college.

« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »

Impressive that you figured this out, but again, proper responses to this thread should look like:

Name of employer
Description of job
Compensation
Contact person

Dude, what don't you understand? No one who is worth their salt would be looking at craigslist for entry-level associate positions. Its NOT how you get a job. You don't even look at something like lawcrossing. You're looking at this from the typical 0L mentality. You have no idea how a legal job search really works. You don't get an entry level job from craigslist or monster.com.

Once again, if you were in lawschool, and had any dealings with a career services office, you would have figured this out by now.

« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2008, 01:28:55 PM »

Name of employer
Description of job
Compensation
Contact person

Dude, what don't you understand? No one who is worth their salt would be looking at craigslist for entry-level associate positions. Its NOT how you get a job. You don't even look at something like lawcrossing. You're looking at this from the typical 0L mentality. You have no idea how a legal job search really works. You don't get an entry level job from craigslist or monster.com.

Once again, if you were in lawschool, and had any dealings with a career services office, you would have figured this out by now.