Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disclose charge anyway?  (Read 999 times)

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disclose charge anyway?
« on: December 30, 2007, 12:38:17 AM »
I was charged and agreed to a judicial diversion to destruction of property at age 15. My record has been expunged and I have not had so much as a parking ticket since. On some of my applications I will have to disclose this and in some of my reaches I am using it as an important life changing experience topic for my PS. Others specifically state that I do not need to write an addendum if I was a juvenile or if my record is expunged. Should I write one anyway? Will LSAC inform these schools that I have checked yes to the question on other apps?

Thank you.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Disclose charge anyway?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:47:10 AM »
LSAC doesn't read your apps as far as I know, but if you have any reservations, disclose. The admissions office will likely quickly glance at it, and not "mark you down" in admissions decisions since it happened when you were young and the record is expunged.

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 01:23:09 AM »
big-fat-box, you seem to know the answers to every question I ask on here. Thank you for being so helpful during my application period.

I am not unsure if I should disclose because with the schools that don't require me to disclose it is clear that I am not required to do so.

One last question, I feel like I should make this as short as possible maybe a paragraph or two. Would this be advised? I honestly cannot remember every single detail about the event or the outcome. I just recently found out that it was a judicial diversion rather than a pre-trial diversion because one of the guys I was with had already used his pre-trial. So me and another guy got stuck with judicial as well.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 01:47:53 AM »
Just because you are not required to disclose, doesn't mean you shouldn't disclose. If you are uncomfortable enough to post on a message board about it, maybe you should disclose for peace of mind. I can't see how it would harm you. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Yeah, a short paragraph or two is probably enough. Just stick to the facts and put a line in there about how they are free to contact you if they have any questions or concerns.

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 07:23:48 PM »
Could someone read the addendum I have written up and tell me what they think? It is slightly less than a page d.s. I just would like some opinions.

hawvaad2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 07:24:19 PM »
Just because you are not required to disclose, doesn't mean you shouldn't disclose. If you are uncomfortable enough to post on a message board about it, maybe you should disclose for peace of mind. I can't see how it would harm you. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Yeah, a short paragraph or two is probably enough. Just stick to the facts and put a line in there about how they are free to contact you if they have any questions or concerns.

If they specifically say it is not necessary to disclose expunged offenses or juvenile offenses then why would you?  Why follow rules that don't exist?
Accepted: Minnesota
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Pending: Iowa, Wisconsin

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
I can PM anyone willing.

hawvaad2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:15:52 PM »

If they specifically say it is not necessary to disclose expunged offenses or juvenile offenses then why would you?  Why follow rules that don't exist?

More important question: why waste the admissions committee's time with addenda that literally *are not relevant* to what they ask for in the application? If it says "any arrests, except those that have been expunged" and you address it anyway, you are only hurting yourself.

Bottom line: Follow. The. Directions.

agreed
Accepted: Minnesota
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Pending: Iowa, Wisconsin

maroon07

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
you absolutely have to disclose the charge.

when you apply to take the bar, you will be required to disclose all charges, regardless of when they occurred or if they were expunged. an expungement does not mean "destruction" of a record-- it means that it cannot be viewed, except by judges, law enforcement, and bar examiners.

if you do not disclose and are admitted then you will find yourself with $150k in debt in 3 years and no way to practice law.

NB: I was charged w/ marijuana possession when I was 17, had it expunged, disclosed it, and have been accepted to three T10-25 schools so far this season. it does not sink your chances, believe me.
In: Emory, Illinois, Minnesota, DePaul
Dinged: Chicago
Hold: BC
Waiting: Fordham, Vanderbilt, WUSTL

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 08:21:25 PM »
you absolutely have to disclose the charge.

when you apply to take the bar, you will be required to disclose all charges, regardless of when they occurred or if they were expunged. an expungement does not mean "destruction" of a record-- it means that it cannot be viewed, except by judges, law enforcement, and bar examiners.

if you do not disclose and are admitted then you will find yourself with $150k in debt in 3 years and no way to practice law.

NB: I was charged w/ marijuana possession when I was 17, had it expunged, disclosed it, and have been accepted to three T10-25 schools so far this season. it does not sink your chances, believe me.

I will disclose unless the school specifically says that I do not need to for one of the reasons listed above. How could they possibly disallow me to sit for the bar if the application said I do not need to disclose? That would make no sense. However, I plan to call the three schools that do not require disclosure and ask if they would like me to disclose anyway. I am not afraid that it will hurt my admissions chances because I have called a few schools and was told it would not because I was so young. I do not want to disclose to a school that says I should not because it will look as though I did not understand the question.