Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lower ranked boston schools...  (Read 9003 times)

SHolman08

• View Profile
Lower ranked boston schools...
« on: December 29, 2007, 07:39:23 PM »
I'm applying next fall and am looking to go somewhere in boston... I'm planning on working in the day (paralegal possibly) and going pt in evenings and Suffolk & New England School of Law both have pt programs.. I know New England is 4th tier and suffolk is 3rd tier, but locally I'm not so sure if that would matter too much. I've visited boston a few times before and I know where they both are located.. pretty nice locations actually.. but practical info would be nice.. thanks!

fryman

• View Profile
Re: Lower ranked boston schools...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:52:36 AM »
Suffolk is MUCH better than NESL. Suffolk actually has a pretty good local reputation in Boston (assuming that you want to work in Boston after school). I have no hard info to back this up, but I'd argue that it's more highly regarded among firms than even t2 Northeastern.

lp1283

• Sr. Citizen
  • Skateboard Scooter + Acid-wash Jeans, priceless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 07:31:54 PM »
Suffolk is in a great location. Extremely close to public transportation, beautiful modern building and smack in the middle of the finanicial district, downtown bars, shops, restaurants, etc. NELS is located near chinatown and their building is not as pretty if that matters. From my experience of working in MA law firms, a degree from NELS is good and known locally (small towns/cities) but Suffolk grads seem to be more prevalent in big law here. Its going up in rankings too if that matters. It was a t4 not to long ago.

As far as rep, Northeastern over Suffolk anyday.

P.S. As far as work, there are plenty of law firms located near both of them.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 08:25:34 PM »

As far as rep, Northeastern over Suffolk anyday.

I am from RI and would agree that Suffolk is better than NESL.  It has a vicious curve like most t3 and t4 law schools, but that's how it goes.

Northeastern is ranked higher, but whether it's regarded more highly in boston is debatable.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:37:42 PM »
So would you guys think that Suffolk would be a good idea if I definitely wanted to practice in Boston/MA and could not get into BC/BU? My main worry would be the high costs of attending/level of debt and not finding a decent job that will turn me into a broke young lawyer if I went to Suffolk...

:-\

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 09:47:42 AM »
I have to admit I have not checked it out as thoroughly due to the whole co-op thing. I guess just the fact that it's different is kind of intimidating to me.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »
Northeastern is in every aspect a considerably better school than Suffolk. I have no idea wtf the people claiming otherwise are thinking, but the career statistics of each school leaves very little doubt.

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »
well from other forums and sites ive read the fact that they dont give out grades doesnt help too much... ???

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 10:53:52 AM »
ok but does that make them comparable (in terms of rep and job prospects) ? A Yale grad, even without the grades, is going to have an easy time of finding a job *anywhere* he/she wishes. Would you say the same thing about Northeastern? Doubt it. Would your typical interview/hiring  committees be glad to take the time to read lengthy evaluations rather than just looking at grades?

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:14:03 AM »
But i was not talking about their rank itself either, I was talking about job prospects.   :-\