Law School Discussion

Lower ranked boston schools...

lp1283

• Skateboard Scooter + Acid-wash Jeans, priceless.
    • View Profile
Re: Lower ranked boston schools...
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 09:49:34 AM »
Well, I have another story for you:

A lawyer that works here (my job), graduated from Suffolk. He met his wife at Suffolk as well. His wife was in the top 10% and got recruited by a Boston BigLaw like any other Ivy-grad from around here. And like any other professional career, you will have your loans but it will pay off as you gain experience either way. A slow road but people get there.

You can get by pretty well with a roommate arrangement here because its obv. a college town and their are plenty of students in your shoes. Also, Northeastern has graduate and law school housing available appearantly.

PS: Aspiring doctors have it worse.    

Prog

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 09:54:52 AM »
I guess I just let myself be scared/influenced by all the T-14 or doom posts here. I cant help being overly cautious though, since it is such a big step and would mean a huge change for me. I'd be moving thousands of miles away, alone in a strange city, leaving my fiancee (who's been my SO for six years) behind for at least a year until she is done with her own graduate studies, etc.

One other thing I was considering was to go to our state school and then try to transfer out to somewhere in Boston after the first year? That would certainly eliminate a few concerns, especially the SO situation and it would be less of a financial burden in the end due to the state school having such a low tuition in comparison, but I worry about the chances of getting in via transfer rather than as a 1LS.

Prog

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 09:59:48 AM »
I foresee a lot of headaches in the coming weeks for me.  :-\  :'(

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 10:13:32 AM »
I guess I just let myself be scared/influenced by all the T-14 or doom posts here. I cant help being overly cautious though, since it is such a big step and would mean a huge change for me. I'd be moving thousands of miles away, alone in a strange city, leaving my fiancee (who's been my SO for six years) behind for at least a year until she is done with her own graduate studies, etc.

One other thing I was considering was to go to our state school and then try to transfer out to somewhere in Boston after the first year? That would certainly eliminate a few concerns, especially the SO situation and it would be less of a financial burden in the end because the state school having such a low tuition in comparison, but I worry about the chances of getting in via transfer rather than as a 1LS.

To successfully transfer into any law school you need to be at the top of your class.  So betting on this... is obviously very sticky.

While I agree that you shouldn't start at one school banking on transferring to another, you do not need to be at the top of your class to transfer from ANY law school to ANY law school.  The rank you need depends on the relative rank of the schools.  Doing a lateral transfer, if you have a compelling reason to move, should not require grades that far above the median.

lp1283

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »
I agree with alamo. Someone I know (starting to sound like a know-it-all, huh?) transfered from NELS to Rutgers-Camden successfully without being at the top of her class.

lp1283

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »
I agree with alamo. Someone I know (starting to sound like a know-it-all, huh?) transfered from NELS to Rutgers-Camden successfully without being at the top of her class.

Interesting - I always heard you needed to be at the top of your class...

I guess it depends on the school you want to transfer to or from.

Sergio

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »
I applied to Suffolk, and I might very well go depending on where else I get let in.  I believe its ranking is a good deal better in New England than the national T3 rating.  Boston is also a great city with lots of educated young people.  Northeastern didn't interest me, but as for being MUCH better than Suffolk - I sure don't know about that.  Might depend on the type of law. 

lp1283

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »
We are not saying that Northeastern is better choice for everyone. We are just saying it is more known and has a better reputation based on its higher ranking. 

It would be crazy to make such a bold statement without attending both law schools.

cosmo, good luck at Suffolk! Keep me updated. I'll be looking into that school for 2009.  ;)

lp1283

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 01:14:41 PM »
We are not saying that Northeastern is better choice for everyone. We are just saying it is more known and has a better reputation based on its higher ranking. 

It would be crazy to make such a bold statement without attending both law schools.

cosmo, good luck at Suffolk! Keep me updated. I'll be looking into that school for 2009.  ;)

Thanks but I'm actually waiting to hear from some schools... Northeastern being one of them.  We'll see what happens but Suffolk is a very attractive option for me :)

Silly me for thinking for a nano-second that this cycle was over. Crazy.  lol, good luck with whichever you choose then.  ;D

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 01:39:23 PM »
My aunt works for tons of lawyers that graduate from suffolk, and except for one or two harvard grads every lawyer I met when I was young graduated from there.  The school may be expensive and suffer from a 2.7 curve, but it certainly doesnt suffer from lack of alumni in Mass.  At the NY forum, the presenter suggested their rank in the USNWR is partly from their disinterest in placing outside of Mass.

That being said, I'd sure like a nice paid coop program at northeastern, and then get picked up by one of the firms that I interned at :).