Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IP Law  (Read 310 times)

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
IP Law
« on: December 28, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »
IP law seems to be in a different category than other types of law when it comes to how much it matters which school you go to and how far down in the class firms recruit.  Is this a correct assumption?  Would it make more sense to go to a lower ranked school where you get money than go for a T14 if you want to do IP? 

This is just a hypothetical since I haven't heard from schools yet, but I have always been curious where IP people fall when it comes to getting jobs. 

I'm not an Electrical Engineering major (which I am pretty sure is in another category all its own), so I am wondering about how it works for other people.  I was a genetics major, so I'm probably looking at pharmaceutical or biotech IP.  How much is it going to matter where I go to school?
Boston College Class of 2011!

Trill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: IP Law
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:41:08 PM »
For genetics/biomed, you're generally going to need a PhD in order to be a strong candidate for that area of intellectual property.

The general advice of going to the best school you can get into holds for all majors, even those in IP -- if, for nothing else, that it will open the most doors and you won't have your options limited.

If you want to do litigation, you're definitely going to need to go to the best school you can get into. For prosecution, it matters less.