Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I am screwed beyond belief  (Read 2883 times)

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I am screwed beyond belief
« on: December 28, 2007, 09:43:05 AM »
I just went to LSAC to see if my GPA had been calculated and it has. The problem is my cumulative GPA is a 2.9 and they calculated it as a 2.3. What the #@$%? Any ideas on what I can do

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
Re: I am screwed beyond belief
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 09:44:12 AM »
That's a very big difference.  You should call them immediately and have them explain it to you.  Maybe they made a mistake.

alxfamlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 09:45:54 AM »
That's a very big difference.  You should call them immediately and have them explain it to you.  Maybe they made a mistake.

I doubt it.  They are pretty good at calculating GPA's.  My UGPA was 3.1 overall and they re-calculated it at 2.85.  My Gradute GPA is 3.3...

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:47:33 AM »

I doubt it.  They are pretty good at calculating GPA's.  My UGPA was 3.1 overall and they re-calculated it at 2.85.  My Gradute GPA is 3.3...

I'd want an explanation.  It's been my experience that LSAC isn't really "good" at anything.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:53:49 AM »
Your GPA may be 2.9 at your degree-granting institution, but what about other schools? They recalculate your GPA to incorporate all grades .... everywhere.

I had a similar problem, though not as significant as your case.

Definitely call LSAC if this doesn't clarify anything.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

alxfamlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:58:32 AM »
Your GPA may be 2.9 at your degree-granting institution, but what about other schools? They recalculate your GPA to incorporate all grades .... everywhere.

I had a similar problem, though not as significant as your case.

Definitely call LSAC if this doesn't clarify anything.

I don't think they count graduate work...

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 10:02:46 AM »
Funny thing is this is my first time checking since I submitted apps in october so i have been under the impression i was in good shape. as matter of fact, i have even managed to slide into a couple of decent schools.

I took graduate coursework from another school and received str8 A's. I failed a couple classes, but I took them over and received a grade of a C or better which through the forgiveness policy would have replaced my F

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:04:38 AM »
LSAC includes all grades, even those F's that were replaced through forgiveness, when calculating your GPA.  This is probably the source of the difference.

StiflerIsBack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »
I just went to LSAC to see if my GPA had been calculated and it has. The problem is my cumulative GPA is a 2.9 and they calculated it as a 2.3. What the #@$%? Any ideas on what I can do

pwned :)

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 10:06:04 AM »
LSAC includes all grades, even those F's that were replaced through forgiveness, when calculating your GPA.  This is probably the source of the difference.

@#!*, so i guess I should revise my addendum to reflect that.