Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulane!  (Read 1520 times)

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tulane!
« on: December 27, 2007, 07:27:20 PM »
I know Tulane is a hot topic of discussion around here sometimes. As someone interested in international law with a 161 LSAT and 3.61 GPA; I feel it will be a good fit for me. I am going to visit Jan 8-11 and am very excited. I understand class is in session then, not sure they will let me sit in on a class but I hope they will! For any Tulane students, what are your thoughts on the school? I've read all of the posts on here about it, but in light of the changes in New Orlenas, do you feel the school has came out stronger? It seems I've read very few bad things about Tulane but any downsides would also be interesting to read about. Do you think I have a shot at any money with these numbers? Thanks!
Tulane Class of 2011

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tulane!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 01:20:21 PM »
You may get money - but it probably won't be much.

To be honest, Katrina didn't impact the school much at all.  It obviously scared away some applicants, but the school's student quality has improved since the hurricane (like most of the T50).  Katrina gave (and continues to give) some unique clinic opportunities (although pre-hurricane NOLA had plenty of interesting clinic opportunities}.  Some blame Katrina for lost faculty - but Tulane's student/faculty ratio has improved (slightly smaller class size) and Tulane has made a couple of superstar pickups since...

Tulane places (BIGLAW) better than most of its ranking peers, but also costs a ton.  I likely would not be here if I did not receive a substantial scholarship.

Tulane has a top comparative law program (for obvious reasons) - and if your "international law" interest involves primarily Europe, Tulane is a very strong school to attend.  Tulane, though, is quite weak in Asian anything...

I would recommend talking to the students when you visit.  The Tulane atmosphere is unrivaled, and its tough to not fall in love with the school. 

What bad things have you read?  Maybe I can spin them the right way...  ;)

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:30:21 PM »
Well, disregarding EVERYTHING i read on xoxohth or whatever that site is (autoadmit.com) I'd say the general worries are placement out of school.

I'd like to go East Coast or Dallas and Tulane seems to do decent there so long as you're a strong student.

The cost: I am not looking like I will get money at anywhere I really want to go, but i have 50K undergrad debt already, so this is all on top of that....ugggh why can't my parents be rich :( So, do you think the cost of full or almost full tuition would be worth it or would somewhere like American, CU, Wisconsin-Madison, etc. be a better bet at full tuition? Once again, I doubt I will get money anywhere so, thoughts on that?

Next common complaint is crime, I am visiting NOLA in January, and I doubt its as bad as I read on a lot of sites, but it is a common concern I think, any experience there?

Lastly, European placement for internships/in the future is huge for me. I understand not walking into an overseas job right out of 3L but I'd like to have those doors opened as quickly as possible. I've seen Tulane does a decent job getting internships overseas (or makes it look like they do) Know anyone with any experiences in that dept either?

I am largely drawn to its unique common/civil law program and I would probably be interested in the European Studies certificate as well. Do you think this is of much use for graduates or just a pretty resume filler?

Thats all I can think of for now, I know most of them just turned into more questions by me! But I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on all this. Thanks again!

Tulane Class of 2011

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
By the numbers, there is less crime in NOLA than in other cities (Houston, Dallas, NYC, etc).  NOLA, though, seems to be stocked full of marksmen - because when our drug dealers shoot at each other, their bullets kill. 

I have never felt unsafe in the city, though - I love my life in NOLA.

Don't know much about the comparative law program, but the ES certificate is resume filler - but this isn't a bad thing.  You will do the work and employers will be able to see it on your resume - its not going to get you the job alone, but it will help in some way.

On the cost - if you aren't getting instate tuition from any of the schools you mentioned, they would likely not be significantly better choices than Tulane.  (Also don't go to American over Tulane).  You are going to be looking at 200k of debt - which is crazy.  I would wait and look at all of your options, see what makes the most sense.  Tulane places pretty well, but nothing is guaranteed. 

oscist

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oscist
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oscist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »
You'll be fine crime-wise as long as you stay out of the seedy neighborhoods on the wrong side of downtown.  Tulane is uptown, which is safe, and no one goes out near the ghetto really, so you'll be ok.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 03:51:34 AM »
Botbot, I know this data is available on LSN, but I wanted further input.

How much dough is a 3.95/163 white boy from another country worth to Tulane?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »

You will likely end up with $25k per year, but both $20k and $30k are possible.  (your GPA makes $30k very possible this early in the cycle)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 04:56:21 PM »

You will likely end up with $25k per year, but both $20k and $30k are possible.  (your GPA makes $30k very possible this early in the cycle)
I have to say - If the choice is between my current school (Fordham) and Tulane with 30k a year, I think I will end up moving to NOLA. Obvioujsly you are a bit biased, Bot, but what do you think of that decision?

McGoober

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 05:40:53 PM »
Do I even have a chance of acceptance at Tulane with a 159/3.4?

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 05:44:55 PM »
Also, are Tulane's scholarships contingent on grades?