Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Marshall Law in Atlanta  (Read 1851 times)

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: John Marshall Law in Atlanta
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 02:41:33 PM »
Lol. :D

I got in last cycle. So I think the rejection was because I didn't matriculate. I was on the fence about attending, and when I talked to the dean, I told him I was interested in other schools like GSU and was thinking about reapplying. Maybe I gave him too much information...so perhaps they felt I wouldn't attend if offered admission again.

I only applied again because the Dean invited me to reapply, and I visited and could see myself there if no one else would have me. But really, it would have been a last resort, and Alabama is the last place I'd want to live anyway. So I'm OK with it.
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 02:44:55 PM »
This is not on topic, but who is the woman in your profile pic?

Stacey Dash, an actress, you probably remember her from Clueless.

I consider her my celeb twin.

Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 06:10:37 PM »
Lol. :D

I got in last cycle. So I think the rejection was because I didn't matriculate. I was on the fence about attending, and when I talked to the dean, I told him I was interested in other schools like GSU and was thinking about reapplying. Maybe I gave him too much information...so perhaps they felt I wouldn't attend if offered admission again.

I only applied again because the Dean invited me to reapply, and I visited and could see myself there if no one else would have me. But really, it would have been a last resort, and Alabama is the last place I'd want to live anyway. So I'm OK with it.

Yea, Jones is a really fickle school. I went to Faulkner, which is a strange school to say the least. If you can get in somewhere else, I'd suggest it. Parts of Alabama are nice, but you should try Samford maybe. Good school, in a nice area of Birmingham.

GVandetta.JMLSGraduate

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 05:17:48 PM »
Crazy? Yes, for believing that a lawsuit would be litigated on the facts and the elements of the law and not on political and procedural technicalities.  It's really very simple.  I know the website is not an easy read. It's under reconstruction.  Here's the gist:

I was married to Jeff Van Detta / Prof and Academic Dean and wanted to help him in another lawsuit filed against JMLS (Meltz v. JMLS) by giving him non-privileged end product filings showing Meltz as “of counsel“ on the firm‘s letterhead where I was working.  These were not confidential documents.  I worked from home so there was no issue I had access to these documents outside the office.  I spoke to Jeff who said b/c he docs were not privileged I should provide him copies.  I had dinner with Jeff and Dean Ryan where the docs were discussed.  Ryan said nothing.  I gave Jeff the docs.   

My husband accepted the docs and “placed them in a brown envelope” and “entrusted them to the “institution’s secretary” stating he had a "duty of loyaly to the institution to make them aware" of the docs.  Dean Ryan admitted in first lawsuit filed in Fulton County Superior Court that he did “receive and open a brown envelope but directed the contents be placed in David Meltz’s personnel file.  Dean Ryan and Dean Meltz hated each other. ABA told Ryan to fire Metlz.  Meltz was fired for something unrelated to the issue I was involved in…allowing a student to attend class so that she could graduate allegedly after being told that she could not return to JMLS.  The student had not attended school for a few years and needed one more class to graduate.  Meltz was a tenured Prof and was entitled to notice.  Ryan did not give him notice.  Under employment law doctrines you can use after the fact acquired evidence to show that even if Ryan should have given Meltz opportunity to respond, Ryan could have still fired him b/c he was allowing himself to be “of counsel” at a law firm, in breach of his contract at JMLS.  Jeff knew this.  My employer knew I was married to Jeff and his position at law school.

The docs were used by JMLS to survive Meltz's Motion for Summary Judgment (unjust enrichment claim).  My employer filed a complaint with the Bar.  Ryan knew about the complaint, (via his own words in email to me), knew about the docs (he “directed they be placed in Meltz’s personnel file w/out asking where they cam from or what they were for….so he says) but gave me a personal reference attesting to my good character months later after he knew that my former employer was angry with me and without asking me anything…..b/c he knew exactly where they came from.

My husband and I separated, and then when my involvement in Meltz v. JMLS was raised by Fitness Board, Ryan and my husband said "Gina Who".  I asked for a divorce a few months earlier…bad timing?  The lawsuit essentially alleges that JMLS breached their contract with me b/c they put their pecuniary interests (i.e., the interests of JMLS in winning lawsuit Meltz filed) over mine without informing me that there could be a potential risk affecting my ability to be certified as “fit and moral”.  The website questions whether law schools should be "for profit" at all....

None of the facts are in dispute.  JMLS filed an Answer to original Complaint when it was pending in State Court but when I moved into Federal Court to also challenge the overly vague and ambiguous Rules Governing the Admission to Practice Law, let's say things got nasty.  We’ve spent the last year fighting over whether or not they even have to file an Answer at all.

The bottom line:  Jeff and Ryan knew that my involvement could raise potential character issues w/Bar, regardless of whether the documents were confidential or simply end-product cover letters to clerks of court.  They never told me and should have (breach of fiduciary duty / fradulent / negligent representation).  After the initial Bar inquiry, the firm that used the docs even sent in letter on my behalf.  Didn’t matter.  Because I did not say “what documents” and lie or say I was solely responsible for my actions, even though I relied on 60 plus years of legal experience, the cat was out of the bag and the Fitness Board, whose Chairman was long-time employee of JMLS could not let me impute JMLS’s good name.  Subsequent to filing suit against JMLS, the Fitness Board changed the original reasons for the still “tentative denial” (a SAG sent me a letter inconsistent with that later used by Fitness Board in their Specifications…before I filed suit and removed JMLS's involvement from their Specifications...contrary to Fisher & Phillips letter, Ryan's email, and Jeff's later sworn statement and common sense).  I am required to raise mitigating factors / affirmative defense in appeal process.  The Fitness Board took that away.

After I went into Federal Court, out of JMLS's “safety zone” (Chief Justice for Ga. Court of Appeals also on JMLS BOD), they went after me in domestic matter to do exactly what they did to Meltz…destroy my character so that even if they played any role in “tentative denial”, I’m assuming, that they will later raise defense that I would have been denied anyway and to shut me up….actually filing SLAPP-suit Applications for Contempt focused on my speech in the federal lawsuit, getting ex parte restraining Orders preventing me from protesting 250’ feet from JMLS the federal lawsuit from the Superior Court Judge assigned to my divorce….who has his own character issues to be addressed very soon.  JMLS's attorney in federal lawsuit was present during my first custody hearing and when the SLAPP-suit Application for Contempt was filed against me.  He was allowed to remain as an "observer" over my objections....in a closed juvenile court hearing.

Crazy? Yeah.  For not realizing the political nature of what I was doing…..for allowing it to come into my family and for being such a fool.  But, if I ever get a chance to sit for a Bar Examination, I can tell you that I’ve been baptized by fire and I’ll pass, not due to JMLS education, but what they’ve forced on me since May 2004.

This woman sounds a bit crazy, but here it is anyway... http://www.johnmarshalllawschoolinc.info/
???

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »
1) Eh, the whole story sounds a little crazy/unbelievable (not in the "I don't believe you" way).  Shouldn't have said you sound crazy.

2) I had been to your website, read quite a few of the pages/documents, and posted the link because I thought it might be interesting to anyone considering John Marshall ATL (which I understand is one of the main purposes of your site).