Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Marshall Law in Atlanta  (Read 1863 times)

chioma23

• View Profile
    • Email
John Marshall Law in Atlanta
« on: December 26, 2007, 02:31:34 PM »
What do you know about this school?  Are there great connections from this school? Is it worth it?

gclemen1

Re: John Marshall Law in Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 06:45:33 PM »
very new school, so not a lot of connections.  Very high tuition for that kind of uncertainty.  If you can muster the couple points, I would go to Ga. State instead b/c it is a Much better school!

Tesoro418

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 06:47:20 PM »
very new school, so not a lot of connections.  Very high tuition for that kind of uncertainty.  If you can muster the couple points, I would go to Ga. State instead b/c it is a Much better school!

TITCR-I would attempt to get into Georgia State before going here.  There are people in Atlanta that are unfamiliar with the school if that says anything.
Guess what? I have flaws. What are they? Oh I donno, I sing in the shower? Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me-- no, don't sue me. That is opposite the point I'm trying to make.

Denon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 12:26:39 AM »
Only if you cannot get into UGA, Emory, GA State, Mercer, have a full ride (or another substantial scholarship) AND a guaranteed job upon graduation. I don't even think the school has full accreditation.
UGA 2011?

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 09:09:37 AM »
Only if you cannot get into UGA, Emory, GA State, Mercer, have a full ride (or another substantial scholarship) AND a guaranteed job upon graduation. I don't even think the school has full accreditation.

It doesn't. It's a bad school from what I know. I know someone who goes there and I was surprised she could actually get in there. There are much better Tier 3 schools that you could probably get into with similar numbers.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 10:27:47 AM »
This woman sounds a bit crazy, but here it is anyway... http://www.johnmarshalllawschoolinc.info/

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 07:37:12 PM »

JM ATL is nowhere near a new school, I think it was founded in 1933. But it is newly (provisionally) accredited by the ABA.

OP: If you plan to practice in GA, avoid going to JM. I have spoken to a few current students and know some graduates and recruiters who confirm their reputation is not nearly as well respected as the other four Georgia law schools. That's putting it mildly. Unfortunately, the reputation of the school plays a large role when it comes to job initial prospects. I'm sure there are exceptions, but it would be better to give yourself as many opportunities as possible...

I was set on attending JM ATL, but realized the debt is not worth the dismal job prospects coming out. I visited and I liked the atmosphere, the students and faculty seemed down to earth and it seemed like a close-knit environment, but not for 28k+ a year with no scholarships.

I have totally crossed them off my list. Unless you already have some connections who don't care where you went to school, maybe. I'd rather take the LSAT again before I'd attend there.

Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 07:39:25 PM »

TITCR-I would attempt to get into Georgia State before going here.  There are people in Atlanta that are unfamiliar with the school if that says anything.

Agree with the bolded.
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

wizardbrandon

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 09:22:21 PM »
This is not on topic, but who is the woman in your profile pic?

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 10:12:09 PM »

Agree with the bolded.

Stacey, you got dinged at Jones? I went to undergrad there, you want me to beat someone down for you.