Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just For Fun, Choose schools on the same tier (HYS/CCN/MVPB/DGNC)  (Read 33503 times)

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just For Fun, Choose schools on the same tier (HYS/CCN/MVPB/DGNC)
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2008, 03:34:14 PM »
Yale > Harvard > Stanford

I, too, have no good reason for this, other than Yale just sounds like it would be the best...and from the little professor gossip I've heard, Yale wins out.

Chicago > Columbia > NYU

Chicago seems like it's got an amazing reputation and it's clerkship placement is fantastic.  Obama taught there, too.  The rest I have no real compelling basis for.

Michigan > Penn > Boalt > UVA

Michigan rocks (I'm biased).  The rest is mostly personal preference.

NW > Duke > Cornell > GT

Meh.  I love Chicago and think NW is underrated.  Duke has a fantastic environment, from what I've heard.  I know next to nothing about Cornell, and GULC is very, very large.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2008, 02:46:18 PM »
Harvard > Stanford > Yale
HLS is a fantastic!  I loved my section and most other students I've met, enjoyed nearly all of my profs, and appreciate that there's always something to do here.  Most people are headed for Biglaw, but there's also a solid and growing public interest community, too.  While I'm admittedly biased, I can't think of a better place to spend three years!

Chicago = Columbia = NYU
I have no preference among this group.  I don't think I'd go to law school if it meant moving to Chicago or NYC.  I don't think these schools or their cities would be good matches for me.

Virginia > Penn > > > > > Michigan > Berkeley
Virginia Law was one of my top contenders, and it seemed to hold a special place in the hearts of current students and alums.  If I couldn't go there, I'd go to Penn (in part for some of the reasons people have already mentioned) and also b/c I like the diversity and culture of Philly.

Duke > > > > > Georgetown > > > > > >  Northwestern/Cornell
Duke has a solid reputation and good placement stats for a Southern school.  I'd pick it over the others.

Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »
While I procrastinate further instead of writing my seminar paper...

Y > S = H: I've always gone to large schools and would like the opp to try out the small class setting.  All else equal I would probably nudge toward Stanford over Harvard just for location.

Columbia = NYU > Chicago: I'd rather freeze my ass off in NY than in Chicago.

Penn > Virginia > Boalt > Michigan

Georgetown > Northwestern > Duke = Cornell:  Georgetown because so far so good.   

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2008, 01:33:42 PM »
H = S > Y

Columbia > NYU > Chicago

Michigan > Penn > Berkeley

UVA = Northwestern

Cornell > Duke > GULC

This list is completely accurate.  Anyone disputing it is a ratfink.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

PravinLal

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2009, 12:51:08 AM »
Yale - I love New Haven, J/K.  Harvard over Stanford b/c I know people around there.
NYU - great PI stuff, don't want to live in Chicago
Berkeley - damn my GPA. great PI, but it's too political.  Mich and UVa are even
Duke - damn my GPA. GTown - good location, but too big

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »

I, too, have no good reason for this, other than Yale just sounds like it would be the best...and from the little professor gossip I've heard, Yale wins out.

Chicago > Columbia > NYU

Chicago seems like it's got an amazing reputation and it's clerkship placement is fantastic.  Obama taught there, too.  The rest I have no real compelling basis for.

NW > Duke > Cornell > GT

Meh.  I love Chicago and think NW is underrated.  Duke has a fantastic environment, from what I've heard.  I know next to nothing about Cornell, and GULC is very, very large.

I agree on NU Law/Northwestern...should be top-6 or 7. But I would upgrade Chicago to #5 and make NYU, NU, Penn and Berkeley battle it out for #6-#9. UVA, UCLA, Michigan, Vandy, and Georgetown would round out the T-14, Duke and Cornell would drop to #15 and 16.

Top-20
1) Harvard
1) Yale
3) Stanford
3) Columbia
5) Chicago
6) Northwestern
7) NYU
7) Penn
9) Berkeley
10)UVA
11)UCLA
12)Michigan
12)Vandy
12)GULC
15)Duke
16)Cornell
17)USC
18)GWU
19)Texas
20)Fordham
20)Boston-U

Just random

jobq48

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2009, 02:37:53 AM »
1. Can you really pass on Yale. H is a close # 2.
2. Chicago, midwest boy and good with $ and academics.
3. V.  Alan Groves wins.
4. Duke, Great name recognition in midwest

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2009, 07:14:14 AM »

Chicago > Columbia > NYU

NW > Duke > Cornell > GT

I agree on NU Law/Northwestern...should be top-6 or 7. But I would upgrade Chicago to #5 and make NYU, NU, Penn and Berkeley battle it out for #6-#9. UVA, UCLA, Michigan, Vandy, and Georgetown would round out the T-14, Duke and Cornell would drop to #15 and 16.

Top-20
1) Harvard
1) Yale
3) Stanford
3) Columbia
5) Chicago
6) Northwestern
7) NYU
7) Penn
9) Berkeley
10)UVA
11)UCLA
12)Michigan
12)Vandy
12)GULC
15)Duke
16)Cornell
17)USC
18)GWU
19)Texas
20)Fordham
20)Boston-U

Just random

Come on...Michigan at 12?  GULC at 12?  Cornell at 16?  This must be a flame...

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »

...just thinking about how fun it would be to see some new schools in the mythical T-14. Many people question Duke's and Cornell's places in that elite bunch, while Vandy and UCLA have steadily knocked on the door for at least five years now. It's time to let them in. And michigan is currently tied in USNWR for #9 with two other schools (NU and UVA), so it can theoretically be called #11 already - as can the others. Based on that, is Michigan  at #12 a stretch?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2009, 03:07:03 PM »

Come on...Michigan at 12?  GULC at 12?  Cornell at 16?  This must be a flame...

No...not a flame...just thinking about how fun it would be to see some new schools in the mythical T-14. Many people question Duke's and Cornell's places in that elite bunch, while Vandy and UCLA have steadily knocked on the door for at least five years now. It's time to let them in. And michigan is currently tied in USNWR for #9 with two other schools (NU and UVA), so it can theoretically be called #11 already - as can the others. Based on that, is Michigan  at #12 a stretch?
[/quote]

Those who question Duke and Cornell's position don't understand the methodology behind the rankings.  40% is based on reputation (20% academia | 20% professional).  Reputation doesn't change as easily or as quickly as medians do (which only comprise a combined 25% of the ranking).  That is one of the reasons why the T14 has been the T14 since conception (there was a time about 15 years ago when the composition was just slightly different, but it has been incredibly cohesive since). 

Smaller schools tend to get a boost in the ratings due to faculty/student ratios and library volumes per student.  Given Vanderbilt's stats and game-plan, I could see them becoming part of a new T15.  I don't see UCLA taking anyone's spot, particularly not Duke or Cornell's.  GULC would be the first to go, but again...see my above point re: reputation.  I can say with great certainty though that Cornell will not be at 16 for a number of years (probably ever).  Last year's graduating class had the highest first-time NY bar passage rate (99%) in the state (including Columbia and NYU).