Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IMO the worst books to buy  (Read 1810 times)

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
IMO the worst books to buy
« on: December 26, 2007, 12:25:18 PM »
i was just cleaning up my lsat stuff and found two brand new books that i paid a good amount of $$ for and they totally SUCKED, IMHO: the "Get Prepped!" books that explain all the preptests.  i thought they were terribly written, barely edited, and definitely DID NOT HELP (only frustrate)!  while i do think that the more material you have, the better... i definitely would not recommend adding these to your list. 
seeing king midas everywhere.

vtjas81

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: IMO the worst books to buy
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 12:28:31 PM »
Cliffs Lsat book sucked
Gpa: 3.44
Lsat: 165
applied: BC,BU,USC,UCLA,W&M,Fordham,Emory,GW, Hastings, Davis

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:12:17 PM »
Any book that does not use real LSAT questions and instead makes their own. Definitely research this first.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

gclemen1

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 01:37:29 PM »
i was just cleaning up my lsat stuff and found two brand new books that i paid a good amount of $$ for and they totally SUCKED, IMHO: the "Get Prepped!" books that explain all the preptests.  i thought they were terribly written, barely edited, and definitely DID NOT HELP (only frustrate)!  while i do think that the more material you have, the better... i definitely would not recommend adding these to your list. 

Valid beef. I enjoyed the "Ace the Logic Games" book by GetPrepped because it gave me more simulated games than were available by the real LSAC preptests.  I needed this book to be able to refine my skills and get faster at sequencing.  I will be the first to admit that the book is full of errors and games that are not even close to ones that the LSAC would administer.  Regardless, I needed this book to be able to get lightening fast at sequencing.  Note: I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use the methodology that this book promotes, it is terrible, I only used the games for practice w/ the Powerscore methodology!

GunnerDore

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 02:07:51 PM »
Any book that does not use real LSAT questions and instead makes their own. Definitely research this first.

When I started studying the LSAT, I completely took this for granted.  I got the McGraw Hill book and was overwhelmed by just how terrible it was.  The questions weren't only bad, but there were so many errors in the answer key that the test writer would have only received a 164. 

I looked up the book's ratings on Amazon to find out that it was universally hated.  That was the moment would it became abundantly clear to only practice with actual LSAT questions.

Funny story about that book:

The first full-length practice section in that book lines up REALLY well with the games section in the actual December LSAT. I decided to ignore all of the advice that you shouldn't study the night before and did that first practice section just to keep myself fresh. Imagine my surprise when I saw a very similar section facing me the next morning!

I kept chuckling to myself as I ate my Clif bar during break.

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »

Valid beef. I enjoyed the "Ace the Logic Games" book by GetPrepped because it gave me more simulated games than were available by the real LSAC preptests.  I needed this book to be able to refine my skills and get faster at sequencing.  I will be the first to admit that the book is full of errors and games that are not even close to ones that the LSAC would administer.  Regardless, I needed this book to be able to get lightening fast at sequencing.  Note: I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use the methodology that this book promotes, it is terrible, I only used the games for practice w/ the Powerscore methodology!

oh i was only talking about the logical reasoning books - i didn't even know they had come out with a games book!
seeing king midas everywhere.

lp1283

• Sr. Citizen
  • Skateboard Scooter + Acid-wash Jeans, priceless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 03:29:40 PM »

oh i was only talking about the logical reasoning books - i didn't even know they had come out with a games book!

Hdubs, congrats again and thanks for not listening to my cancellation advice!

They have a games book and I find it quite helpful.

If anybody wants to buy a brand new copy of the Get Prepped! Ace the LSAT Logic Games book let me know. For some strange reason I was shipped 2 copies and I only used one.

F. Mercury

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 08:03:28 PM »
let me just say this:

a classmate and I were both taking the december.  couple days before the test, i saw her reading Baron's Pass Key to the LSAT and I asked her how the test prep was going.  She said, "Pretty good...I have been doing some questions and I am getting them right."  I offered her a copy of an official LSAT.

After the real thing, I asked her how it went.  She said, "yeah, i didn't all of the questions but most of them..."

oh, and she is deferring a year right now.

The point of the story:  yeah...doing well in Baron's Pass Key to the LSAT doesn't mean poo.

MiamiLaw008

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 10:12:06 PM »
HAHAHA gunner, I did the same exact thing down to the Clif Bar at the break. I always heard the "dont study the night before the test", but before every practice test I took I was studying pretty hard the day before. So, why change my routine. Ended up killing it so I dont know how much stock I would put in the recommendation to not look at anything the day before.

The Stranger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 01:30:36 AM »
This thread reminds me of the days when I thought that the LSAT could be defeated by a couple of weeks study from Barron's LSAT guide. Boy was I in for a surprise.