Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CBA student just took test  (Read 2314 times)

jd1

• View Profile
CBA student just took test
« on: December 25, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »
I am looking at going to a CBA accredited(non-aba) school. I recieved a 146 on the lsat. Any advice on which schools would take it?

gdogg

• View Profile
Re: CBA student just took test
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 03:45:14 AM »
There are a few ABA schools that will take that score.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 04:12:27 AM »
I am looking at going to a CBA accredited(non-aba) school. I recieved a 146 on the lsat. Any advice on which schools would take it?

PM me.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

nailemlaw

• http://www.nailemlaw.com
    • View Profile
    • Nail Em Law Exam & Course Support
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:48:01 PM »
also some non-ABA schools would as well

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:59:08 PM »
Don't go to a CBA school. ANY ABA is a better option.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

phreejazz

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 04:31:48 AM »
AFter looking at a few options and doing the math, I've decided on going the CBA route myself.  Feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to share what I've learned in looking at the various options.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 12:33:36 PM »
AFter looking at a few options and doing the math, I've decided on going the CBA route myself.  Feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to share what I've learned in looking at the various options.
I know you said you wanted to be sent a private message, but I think this would be a good public discussion:  what is it that made you choose a non-ABA school?  Even if you plan to only practice in one state, almost every qualification that I know of outside its state bar (membership in certain organizations, JAG/military jobs, etc.) all require a degree from an ABA-approved school.  It would seem that the worst ABA school would be a better option than a non-ABA school.

phreejazz

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 02:09:37 PM »
I know you said you wanted to be sent a private message, but I think this would be a good public discussion:  what is it that made you choose a non-ABA school?  Even if you plan to only practice in one state, almost every qualification that I know of outside its state bar (membership in certain organizations, JAG/military jobs, etc.) all require a degree from an ABA-approved school.  It would seem that the worst ABA school would be a better option than a non-ABA school.

You may be right, about a public discussion.  First, I should make clear what my goals are.  I have *NO* interest in working for a big firm.  If I did, I definitely would have chosen another route.

So, generally:

First consideration: I have been out of college now for 15 years, and never finished my BA.  I know the common wisdom is that it's impossible to get any work without one, and that I should just take the two years and finish.  But, that common wisdom isn't true, I've spoken to a couple places where I *would* be interested in working, and they are far more interested in how many times it takes a candidate to pass the Ca. Bar, experience gained through internships, etc. than anything else.

Second consideration: I have to work to survive.  I can't afford to live off of student loans or even scholarships.  That leaves me the option of night courses.

Third: expense.  I will be getting my JD without a single penny owed when I'm done.

Fourth: Opportunity.  It's not as bad as everyone seems to think (graduating from a non-Aba school that is.)  As I posted somewhere else on this topic, in my local county alone several judges and court commissioners, the vice mayor of san jose, the head of another local county bar association, etc. all graduated from one particular non-aba school.  That's a high concentration for a school that typically has very small graduating classes.  I spoke to two students who are working relatively competitive judicial clerkships while attending a non-aba school.  In short, the more I look at it, the more it seems like the person makes more of a difference than the name of the school they went to.  I'm just barely arrogant enough to think that I can make myself stand out from the crowd, even if that crowd includes t14 graduates (mostly because I know a couple, and I'm not that impressed.)

Finally, there are plenty of ways around the non-ABA limitations like which states will let you sit for the bar.

officialreport

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:30:02 AM »
I understand your reasoning (money, time, affordability) - however you your CBA JD will only allow you to practice in CA -so I take it you don't have any plans to move?

phreejazz

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »
I understand your reasoning (money, time, affordability) - however you your CBA JD will only allow you to practice in CA -so I take it you don't have any plans to move?

Not quite true.  First, there are a couple states with interesting definitions of "reciprocity."  Because CA lets these states' non-ABA grads sit for the bar, these states do the same for CA's non-aba grads (even when they don't let their own such grads sit for the bar).  Second, petitioning to sit for the bar in some other states  once you've been a practicing lawyer isn't that huge of a deal... from what I can find out about it, in any case.