Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wow!! Should I still try to go 2 LS?  (Read 1237 times)

mexjd2b

• View Profile
Wow!! Should I still try to go 2 LS?
« on: December 24, 2007, 03:52:17 PM »
Already a non-traditional student being 27 and married. Decided to go back and finish my undergrad full-time starting Jan 14th and apply to LS for 2009. Put our house up for sale 2 weeks ago and gave my employer 2 month notice. FOUND OUT ON FRIDAY THAT MY WIFE IS PREGNANT!!! Don't get me wrong, I am super excited...but what do I do now? Can anyone share any encouraging experiences or stories?
"I would rather die on my feet, than live on my knees." - Emiliano Zapata

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Wow!! Should I still try to go 2 LS?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 08:23:38 AM »
Congrats mexjd2b!!! This must be a very exciting time for you! Having a newborn doesn't have to derail your law school plans.You could go to a school where you have family nearby who could help take care of the baby. Or you could apply to part time programs. Or you could use the loans/grants to meet your everyday expenses and your wife could stay at home and take care of the baby. Some law schools have a larger budget for married students and most will increase your budget for medical expenses and daycare.

I have one school-aged child. Both my husband and I will be going to school full-time. We will be using financial aid to pay for all of our living expenses. It's definitely doable. You just need to look at the financial aid policies at each school you are considering.

2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

1rakayla

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:48:46 PM »
Go for it!! I found out I was pregnant 3 weeks after I took the LSAT. The baby is due at the end of June and I already have a school age child.  My SO is completing his masters and I will still be starting law school in August.  It is going to take money management and alot of planning, but it can definetely be done. We are very excited about all of the changes that our family is going through this summer.

areopagite

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 01:58:54 PM »
Hey, mexjd.  I agree with my esteemed colleagues: it is definitely doable.  My experience as a new father come law school applicant is that having a child has made me a much more responsible and dedicated person.  From what I can tell, both of those qualities will be valuable as a law student and having these experiences will likely make you a stronger applicant, or at least give you a better perspective.  I would suggest that you at least have a go at it.

Oh, and congratulations!
John Dewey on standardized tests:

"It reminds me of how we weighed pigs on my grandfather's farm.  You lay a board over a fence, put the pig on one end and pile rocks on the other.  Then you guess how much the rocks weigh."