Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Applicants Easier to Identify on LSN?  (Read 3270 times)

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Black Applicants Easier to Identify on LSN?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 02:24:40 AM »
Why am I up so late?  ???

I kinda agree with the OP.  I keep my page updated because there might be Black splitters applying now that might find it useful or future applicants.  I just wish more Blacks would update and or maintain LSN pages so that applicants would have a better idea of where they stand.  Most of the info that Blacks have to rely on is anecdotal, so I want to put the info out there.  Especially for Black splitters, which are a rare breed.

That being said, just hide your applications and fudge your numbers a little.  It might make it difficult enough that they give up on trying to identify you.

I'm also not going to stop posting out of fear of being dinged for something I post.  I enjoy my time on LSD, and it's really the only medium that is getting me through this crazy process.  They should understand that.
Michigan 2L

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 02:40:47 AM »
yea. I'm in at Vandy, and that's a good backup plan even if I get dinged everywhere else.

20+ Andrew Hill Albums

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 09:02:36 AM »
Thanks, jdwhome.  The link doesn't work for me, but thanks for posting the article. 

This confirms my feelings about the message boards.  I once posted my lsat and gpa on another forum but deleted it after a few minutes.  And that's when I started getting scared of LSN.   :-X  Not that I'd said anything irrational or that I'd been a jerk to anyone.  I just wouldn't want adcoms to use anything I post on the internet in their decisions process. 

Perhaps, it's a good sign that this article focuses on online personas instead of acceptance/rejection info that applicants post.

I tend to agree with the original poster. Take a look at this: http://www.admissionsconsultants.com/lawschool/online_personas.asp

'Online Personas' Can Hurt Your Admissions Chances
Although many applicants are not aware of it, many of the top law schools actively monitor the various online admissions boards. Some schools even assign a staff person to regularly read the discussion boards. The impressions that admissions staff form of applicants who use the boards can influence some admissions outcomes.

The schools are not checking the boards because they want to recruit the members with 1,000-plus posts their credit. Rather, they're trying to protect the integrity of their programs by keeping such people out.

Applicants who think that using an online pseudonym can their identity are making a mistake. According to a former dean for a top law school, "It is usually very easy to determine the identity of an applicant based on the information they provide in their posts. In some cases, it's obvious because of a particular communication you had with an applicant, who then shares information from the communication online. In other cases, if someone is being really obnoxious or bad-mouthing your school or one of your staff members, with a little bit of effort and searching of your database, you can usually identify the applicant."

The bottom line on applicants who cultivate off-putting online personas, our contact said, is that "We know who they are."

Applicants don't have to make inflammatory or obnoxious statements to harm their admissions chances. Just coming across as irrational about law school admissions or as overly passive about the application process may be enough to leave schools with an unfavorable impression of a candidate.

An example of being irrational about the admissions process is when someone posts a complaint about a bad experience with a receptionist at Law School X and says they would never accept an admissions offer from that program because of that one experience.

An example of being overly passive is when someone uses an online forum to ask basic questions that could be answered with just a bit of research, or to post a simple question that could be answered more quickly by a phone call.

Law school applicants who have been active on the online boards are well advised to tone down their participation once they actually begin submitting their applications. They can use their time more productively to work on their personal statements and other application components. Those activities are likely to prove much more valuable to their future endeavors than message board participation will be.

Back to Law School Features

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 12:10:05 PM »
I dont know about LSN, but I do know that schools do actively monitor the boards, this one included.  Lesson #1 in the legal profession - your reputation is extremely important.  Protect it.  (that doesn't mean stop posting on the internet, that simply means watch what you post - anything that wreaks of unprofessionalism can, and has, come back to bite people)
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 10:13:36 PM »
I WISH MY SCHOOL WOULD QUESTION ME ABOUT MY POSTS ON HERE

As much money as I'm paying every single semester in tuition, I wish someone in administration would be gully enough to confront me b/c I said something "unflattering" about the school.

As far as applications goes, when I was applying during the 2005-2006 cycle, anybody who had my application could EASILY identify my application on that site based on my #'s alone. I talked smack about almost every school that took too long to respond or give me any info on financial aid.

Seriously, it ain't like you are posting pictures of yourself shotgunning a can of beer. It is a website geared towards Law School applicants. What is the WORST that you could possibly say or do to the school.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 01:59:53 PM »
I'll leave it up. You guys are right.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 04:16:20 PM »
I WISH MY SCHOOL WOULD QUESTION ME ABOUT MY POSTS ON HERE

As much money as I'm paying every single semester in tuition, I wish someone in administration would be gully enough to confront me b/c I said something "unflattering" about the school.

As far as applications goes, when I was applying during the 2005-2006 cycle, anybody who had my application could EASILY identify my application on that site based on my #'s alone. I talked smack about almost every school that took too long to respond or give me any info on financial aid.

Seriously, it ain't like you are posting pictures of yourself shotgunning a can of beer. It is a website geared towards Law School applicants. What is the WORST that you could possibly say or do to the school.

U stupid, son :D
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 01:28:17 PM »
I'm taking down most of the information on LSN

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 02:20:14 PM »
Why?  Paranoia?

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 02:22:47 PM »
Cornell Deferred me. I just don't want to take any chances.