Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Applicants Easier to Identify on LSN?  (Read 3323 times)

20+ Andrew Hill Albums

• View Profile
Black Applicants Easier to Identify on LSN?
« on: December 23, 2007, 11:13:12 PM »
I'll go ahead and answer the question Yes first--if only for the fact that there are fewer of us.  Based solely on the stats LSN users provide, my guess is that an adcomm (if they wish) can identify most of their applicants on LSN--and probably all of their black applicants.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)  Considering this, could starting and maintaining an LSN account be potentially harmful to one's application cycle?

I can think of two scenarios:

1.  Black applicant X applies to 3 T14s and 3 non-T14s.  She is accepted to her T14s with $.  One of her non-T14s (School B) identifies her on LSN based on her stats and sees that she has been accepted to her T14s with $.  School B figures that X will choose one of her T14 options and would likely pass on an admissions offer from School B.  Always interested in protecting its yield in the interest of climbing up in the rankings, School B decides to reject X before X can reject School B.  But what if X really wants to go to School B?  Her LSN might be to blame for her rejection.

2.  The same black applicant X gets into her T14s with an LSAT in the low 160s and/or a gpa near 3.5.  Her white counterparts, who are largely auto-rejects, see her acceptances, and get  >:(.  Might posting this info on LSN whip up more unnecessary and unwelcome furor against affirmative action?

Just a couple thoughts.  Paranoia, perhaps.  Let me know.  What are your thoughts on these scenarios?  Can you think of other potentially harmful repercussions to maintaining an LSN account?

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Black Applicants Easier to Identify on LSN?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 11:15:52 PM »
So are you telling me to take down my LSN?

20+ Andrew Hill Albums

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 11:19:31 PM »

I don't think I'm qualified to give that kind of advice.  I'm just posing the question.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 11:21:31 PM »
hmmm so maybe I should hide all my schools?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:26:49 PM »
Chill out.

ETA: I was probably the most identifiable person on LSN in 2004-05 (an adcom admitted knowing who I was), and I ended up fine.

20+ Andrew Hill Albums

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 11:28:42 PM »
@ The Truth: Don't let me make you as paranoid as me.  :D

I started an LSN account months ago, but I stopped maintaining it when I started getting acceptances.  I figured I'd just dump all my info in after my cycle is done and I'd decided on a school.

I think that I just have an aversion to posting information about myself on the internet out of fear that it can be used against me.  At the same time, though, I've benefitted from other people having posted their info on LSN (in a way), so I also feel like I should repay the favor with my own info....

Tegoyan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 11:42:38 PM »
I'll admit that I've been complaining about UGA on my LSN. Is that why they refuse to request my report after 2 months and 3 or 4 phone calls? LOL.

The possibility that some admissions person will find my LSN doesn't bother me, nor do I care if some angry white kid stumbles upon it and uses it as fuel in his or her anti-affirmative action debate. As long as I get my degree.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 01:52:19 AM »
hmmm.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 02:04:15 AM »

Nah Truth, no one looks at you page anyway. ;)
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 02:09:39 AM »
lol, I wonder who is looking at my page now, but even if I took it down, it would be too late. all my apps have been in since October.