Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT you discuss biglaw cutoffs at some mid-T1 schools  (Read 7370 times)

TheMaddRapper

• View Profile
ITT you discuss biglaw cutoffs at some mid-T1 schools
« on: December 23, 2007, 10:29:31 PM »
Assuming there's nothing special about you (no relevant WE, no IP background, not an extremely attractive female)...

How high must you be for biglaw (defined as market rate in ANY city) from the following schools:

WUSTL (guess:  33%)
Illinois (guess:  25%)
Tulane (guess:  15%)
Indiana-Bloomington (guess:  10%)
Minnesota (guess:  20%)
Arizona (guess:  10%)
GW (guess:  33%)
Washington & Lee (guess:  20%)

Personal experience would be helpful in hashing this out.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT you discuss biglaw cutoffs at some mid-T1 schools
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 10:32:40 PM »
I would like to know about the cutoff at Cooley

TheMaddRapper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 10:34:25 PM »
I would like to direct you to xoxohth.com

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 10:58:23 PM »
cooley?

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:14:01 PM »
LOL ok I got you

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 11:30:25 PM »
I spoke to a hiring partner at a DC firm and he told me that, at GW, he looks at people around median, and even lower if they are likable and easy to talk to. He seemed confident that this was somewhat common around DC. On the other hand, I also talked with a family friend at a Vault 20 firm (partner) and he said their GW cutoff was 5-6% and GU cutoff was 8-9%. He was also very concerned with law review or moot court, whereas the first guy was more concerned that you spent your time doing something you were passionate about. Both (obviously) pay market.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 12:02:02 AM »
Uncommon for me.  I don't even know a lawyer.  Not a single person.

I am very well connected in DC. I've had multiple family members emailing me to tell me that, as soon as I need contacts, they have close friends for me to get in touch with. I don't know them either (except for the 2 I went up to DC to meet with), but that doesn't matter. I think I'll feel good, wherever I go, at/around the median. I might be good lower, but I don't know how much the connections are willing to do for me (yet). I plan to ride it out- that's for damn sure.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 12:08:52 AM »
A few things.

1) Do not make the mistake by estimating cutoffs with the amount of people that went into BIGLAW.  Not everyone that can get BIGLAW goes BIGLAW.
2) Where are some of these numbers coming from?  From my data, they are pretty much all wrong - some are too high and some are too low.  (My data comes from the CDOs)
3) $160k != all BIGLAW.  While some markets are at $160k, not all BIGLAW is there.  ($110k in Charlotte is BIGLAW, wtf conventional wisdom?)  Also V100 != all of BIGLAW by a large margin.
4) There are not a ton of law students who are related to BIGLAW partners (but there are some).  BIGLAW sucks, even for the partners.  Most BIGLAW partners who could have children 22-25 quit 5-10 years beforehand.  Further, your aunt/uncle/family friend will not likely be able to get you a job, although they could put in a good word for you which would help.  (ok ok some BIGLAW partners can get certain people positions, but your numbers still have to be CLOSE to what they would have hired)
5) And to troll for my school, Tulane's "cutoff" for NYC was ~25%, for Houston ~40%, for Dallas ~30%, for NOLA ~45%.  This is not to say anyone in the top 30% got Dallas BIGLAW - and further it is not to say a number of students at the median did not get BIGLAW in their home markets.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 12:15:00 AM »
Even Amlaw 200 misses market paying firms...

TheMaddRapper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 12:48:31 AM »
I would consider "biglaw" as a firm that pays at or near what the biggest firms in its market pays.  This is $160K for the biggest cities but can be much lower for smaller cities.

I realize it's impossible to create an exact standard, but it's probably possible to create guidelines for each market and school.

As far as Tulane, that's much more generous than I've heard from someone I know who was at Tulane.  He was in the top half and makes around $60K in insurance defense in a secondary Southern city.  He says top 10% had access to NYC, top 20% had access to NOLA (whatever is left of that market anyway) and good luck going anywhere else (like Texas) unless you had serious ties.