Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice on Final List(160/4.0)  (Read 1711 times)

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice on Final List(160/4.0)
« on: December 23, 2007, 05:21:15 PM »
So I am going to apply this year, retake in June, and decide what to do after that. Here is some more information about my application

Gpa: 4.0(Tenn. Tech. Univ.)
LSAT: 160(will write addendum to reach schools)

Had a conviction for destruction of property at 15, record expunged, I will divulge this if necessary(school by school basis). Plan to write and addendum about the significant impact this had on me.

I come from a lower class family in rural Tennessee(i.e. I grew up in a trailer, first person to graduate college)

Several extracurricular: college radio, fraternity, helped found human rights org.

Drum roll............

My final list(in order of preference):

William & Mary
North Carolina
California(FW)
Boston College
Flordia
Wake Forest
Iowa
Indiana
George Mason
Tennessee
Wisconsin

Please give your opinion on my chances at these schools. I cannot afford to waste any money on an application that has no chance of acceptance.

rsr28

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Final List(160/4.0)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 05:33:12 PM »

Please give your opinion on my chances at these schools. I cannot afford to waste any money on an application that has no chance of acceptance.

You have too many schools on the list, then.  BC is very reach-y, but like diversity, GPA, and SF's so probably worth taking a shot at.  Indiana, UNC, and Wisconsin are basically equivalent; I would dump one of them.  Iowa is a little reach-y so I might dump that one.

Good luck!

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 05:56:43 PM »
Alright, I was not crazy about Wisconsin anyway so I won't apply there. I like UNC, Indiana, and Iowa so I think I'll keep these. So you think I have a shot at the others. If I can get into W&M, UNC, Cal, or BC(maybe WF) then I will not retake and I will go to that school in the Fall.

*crosses fingers*

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 07:55:36 PM »
Alright, I was not crazy about Wisconsin anyway so I won't apply there. I like UNC, Indiana, and Iowa so I think I'll keep these. So you think I have a shot at the others. If I can get into W&M, UNC, Cal, or BC(maybe WF) then I will not retake and I will go to that school in the Fall.

*crosses fingers*

Can anyone else offer me some advice? I need help here.

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 08:05:25 PM »
Should I apply to GULC PT?

annarborite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 08:13:19 PM »
UNC is probably a big reach for you, too.  See my post on your other thread.

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 08:32:20 PM »
UNC is probably a big reach for you, too.  See my post on your other thread.

I don't understand why UNC would be a big reach. Their web site says their median is 161. I am only 1 point below that. Has something changed that would affect this? Are they strong on in state applicants?

mjn298

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 10:40:48 PM »
Can you get a fee waiver?

TheMaddRapper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 10:46:58 PM »
Don't write an addendum for the 160 and don't go on about the trailer park.  They just don't care.  But they do care that your 4.0 will allow them to admit a couple other high-LSAT people and boost their GPA numbers.

So, looking at your list...

William & Mary
North Carolina
California(FW)
Boston College
Flordia
Wake Forest
Iowa
Indiana
George Mason
Tennessee
Wisconsin

Looks like you don't care where you end up.  You should probably think about where you can get money and I'm not sure what your priorities are.

I would remove Iowa, Indiana, George Mason and Wisconsin.  Those schools care more about the LSAT and besides you'll have better options.  I would also remove Tennessee but clearly you're applying there because you're from there.

I would definitely add Georgia.  You can likely get in-state after your first year and it's very cheap, and it's an all-around better school than Florida and some of the others on your list.

kmate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 10:47:21 PM »
With UNC, you should apply as early as possible.  The in-state and out-of-state GPAs and LSATS are practically the same, but of course they only make up 25% of their class with out-of-staters.  Your personal statement is also a big deal there.

PS: http://www.newsobserver.com/print/saturday/city_state/story/689194.html