Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Addendum Needed?  (Read 772 times)

P. Pius

• View Profile
LSAT Addendum Needed?
« on: December 22, 2007, 05:41:23 PM »
I was wondering if you all think I need to submit an LSAT addendum to the schools I'm applying to?  I took the test in Sept. and did fairly poorly on it (part of it related to nerves and stress as I put quite a bit of studying time into it)  I retook in December and saw an 8 point jump in my score.  (It's much more respectable now) 

Anyways, with my gpa of a 3.31 (3.6 for my major), I'm unsure if the added addendum would help my case...or be merely another essay that adcoms would have to look at.  Any ideas??

Edit:  My LSAT is now a 153
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Addendum Needed?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 05:45:25 PM »
I wouldn't put in an addendum. It is just more stuff for them to read, it has the potential to sound whiney, and a significant score jump can speak for itself: you tried harder, and improved.

the marauder

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gone to the finest school alright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 08:41:18 PM »
Yeah, I would say no addendum.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=marauder

The lover who just walked out your door
Has taken all his blankets from the floor.
The carpet, too, is moving under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

sstar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:49:01 PM »
I tend to disagree. I think you want to make it clear that the second score is more representative of your ability.

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/faqs-and-support-lsat.asp
http://www.prelawhandbook.com/lsat__retaking
T'50 Class of 2011

Denon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 09:58:24 PM »
no addendum. I struggled with the same question (since i have 17 points between my two scores) but now I'm glad I didn't write one. When it boils down to it, addendums are formal excuses. So unless one of your parents died or something else equally as tragic happened, don't bother. You score improvement should speak for itself.
UGA 2011?

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 11:16:02 AM »
I took the LSAT in Sept and scored a 154, then retook in Dec and scored 169. During the Sept test I had a gigantic headache and couldn't concentrate and barely was able to read the RC section, turned out that I had a really bad sinus infection. Should I add an addendum for this? My 154 was way below my avg, but I did score better in December to better represent my capabilities. Does the increased 15pt score speak for itself?

You could include an addendum briefly explaining your illness, but I actually wouldn't. Without an addendum, your dramatic increase is likely to be assumed to be because of perseverance and hard-work, which are qualities becoming to a law student.

crummy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 12:53:40 AM »
i also had a pretty big jump from my first lsat to my second (156 to 163). i took a kaplan course (wouldn't recommend it by the way), so i know that my second score is a better reflection of my ability. (my kaplan practice tests were: 163, 161, 164, 164, 166)

i've read conflicting opinions on lsat addenda especially if there's a big gap between the two.  i know its easy to come across as whiney. however, i've read that if there is a significant difference between the two, a candidate should include a short explanation of why the law school should focus solely on the higher score.

i already, submitted my applications so i'd have to mail or email any addendums.  i really just realized that my score might be averaged to a 160. it was a real kick in the balls.

im inclined to say forget it. but since a 160 instead of a 163 would be a pretty big hit for me in relation to the schools i'm applying to, i'm thinking it might be worth it.

what do you think? whats the consensus?

i have a 3.77 gpa and i'm looking mostly at schools in the top 35-25 range. (unc, g. mason, osu, will & mary, bc, wash & lee, illinois) maybe i should look into some more safeties just in case.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 01:57:59 AM »
What if you mis-bubbled a couple games on the first try, got a 154, then retook and got a 161? Addendum? Say you were feeling stressed and mis-bubbled but took 30 practice tests and had never done that?
Tulane Class of 2011