Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Boston?  (Read 810 times)

prettypithy

• View Profile
Black Boston?
« on: December 22, 2007, 05:31:22 PM »
I am mulling over applying to Boston College but as a San Francisco native, I worry about race relations in Boston. I have heard horror stories. When my sister was admiited to Harvard as a Ugrad she was put in touch with a black students who warned her about going out after dark! But most of all, what springs to mind is the quote from The Departed:

Brown: @#!* yourself.
Billy Costigan: Look at it this way: You're a black guy in Boston. You don't need any help from me to be completely screwed.

Any black people with positive or negative Boston experiences to share?

bakongo

• HLS 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Black Boston?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 12:04:06 AM »
I went to undergrad in Boston and I and my other black friends always went out at night.  Now, if you're in southie at night, that's another story. Although in the main parts of the city you won't see very many black people, it's not unsafe. Cambridge is a little better but not much. From my experience in San Francisco, there weren't many black people around either, but I felt more comfortable as a black person there than I do in Boston. That said, there are many black graduate and undergraduate students in Boston because there are so many universities there. The good thing about school is you have a ready-made community so to speak. If you like BC I would go ahead and apply, see what happens, and then visit.

p.s. How did your LSAT retake go?

prettypithy

• View Profile
Re: Black Boston?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
Not as expected. Score went up but not by much. I suppose I was more stressed and emotional than I thought I would be. Its understandable but I'm still disappointed. Hoping G-town will show me love nontheless.