Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas 1L taking questions...  (Read 3546 times)

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Texas 1L taking questions...
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 10:35:42 PM »
I haven't posted in a long time.

I'm a 1L at UT, I have a firm job set up for the summer in a market outside of Texas but near my hometown.  The firm was very impressed that I had left my midwest home to go to "such a fine law school" and gave me an offer without seeing my first semester grades.  I do have a solid undergraduate record, but no work experience.  I hope all is well, I'll check this thread.

Hook 'em.

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 10:38:02 PM »
Double post

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »
To address some of the previous questions:

1) The UT LRAP just recently got the green light by the dean. Details are still being worked out. I'm sure it will get pimped to next year's incoming class

ricefigaro, thank you so much for this. I think I love UT again.

dmactoto

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »
also a 1L at ut. have three offers thus far, 1 before grades and 2 after...

important to state that this is not the norm however. i was helped tremendously by my ties to houston (born and raised)

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 04:16:53 AM »
To address some of the previous questions:

1) The UT LRAP just recently got the green light by the dean. Details are still being worked out. I'm sure it will get pimped to next year's incoming class

2) There are a surprising number of international students. Mostly chinese, but I also know of a couple Brits, a Russian, and a few Indians. Also, there are some in the JD program who are clearly not native English speakers although they may be green card holders.

3) I have a 1L friend (top 15%) who got an offer from one of the big three in Houston.

What does LRAP stand for?

L = Law...R = ? um, I'm not feelin it. Can someone give me a hint?

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 10:34:53 AM »
GoingSouth- Loan Repayment Assistance Program. They are designed to allow graduates who go into public interest jobs to make smaller loan payments. Some programs forgive large portions of law school debt. Not every school has one.

ricefigaro

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 11:52:37 PM »
Residents always get a boost but Texas isn't spliter friendly as some of its peers. If you're really gung-ho maybe you could stop by the admissions office and stress your enthusiasm.

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 03:01:02 AM »
Hey I just read online that Texas will match (well, sort of match) scholarships before Mar.1 of other schools...Does anyone have any idea which other schools they include on this list...and does anyone have any experience with this?

(I'm assuming any schools that are higher ranked would be included)

armada

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »
Are there any special specifications that are required for laptops at UT?  I'd really like to get a relatively cheap laptop as soon as possible and don't wanna find myself having to get a different one because it doesn't work with the school. 
Thanks.

rsr28

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
Are there any special specifications that are required for laptops at UT?  I'd really like to get a relatively cheap laptop as soon as possible and don't wanna find myself having to get a different one because it doesn't work with the school. 
Thanks.

0L here, but I can guarantee you that if you get any reasonably modern Windows laptop you will have on issues.  Make sure it has a wireless card (almost all do).