Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas 1L taking questions...  (Read 3594 times)

jdr145

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Texas 1L taking questions...
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »
any input as to how difficult it is to get a deferral approved?  I know it's case by case, and on the site it's generally 1 year.  So how difficult is it to get a 1 year approved and even, dare I say, a 2 year deferral?
Accepted: Michigan, GULC, UNC, Texas($), Vanderbilt($$$), WUSTL($$$), Rutgers-Camden($$)(W), UWashington(W), UCLA(W), OSU(W), Fordham($$)(W), GWU(W), Emory ($$), USC(W), BU(W)
Rejected:
WL: Columbia, Duke

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jdr145

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 07:35:18 PM »
Any news about LRAP developments? I would love to go to UT, but am planning on going into public interest, so it is a huge concern for me.

trojan3280

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 08:22:53 PM »
Would you recommend going to the Admitted Students Weekend?

JDLLMCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 08:59:19 PM »
Where would 1L need to be GPA-wise to get Austin BigLaw summer position assuming decent interview skills?

Hook'em!

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 09:23:53 PM »
How many international students are there? Any?

Also, do alot of the girls there have southern accents?  ;D

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 12:43:21 AM »
Where would 1L need to be GPA-wise to get Austin BigLaw summer position assuming decent interview skills?

Hook'em!

I know someone who was probably top 15-20% after fall 1L semester and got in at one of the big 3, but very nearly didn't get invited back owing to grades that ended up more towards top third for the year as a whole.

Don't come to UT banking on working in Austin, at least in biglaw.  It just doesn't pan out for a lot of folks.

And even if you are top 15%, 1L Austin BIGLAW is still going to be a crapshoot.

bravoballer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 05:02:41 PM »
I can find the salaries for BIGLAW firms on the NALP website, but what about smaller firms in Fort Worth/Austin/San Antonio? What is the starting salary range for those markets?

JDLLMCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »
Regarding the class size: yes, it is certainly one of the largest law schools, but they do a PHENOMENAL job of not making it seem that large.  My year, roughly 400 students were broken down into 4 sections of 100 each, then 2 societies of 50 each, and smaller subsections of 25 each. You have 1 small class, only with your 25 person subsection, and play intramurals with them, have lots of organized events only with them (boat cruises, bowling, etc, all on the school) which helps you get to know those 25 people really well. There are also society events, which helps you get to know the other subsection in your society much better. Hope that explains how well they break it down.

Regarding the friend of yours: I have little insight about the admissions process (or what they deal with character flaws, prior incidents etc), but the steps your buddy has taken seem to indicate that a school might even view this as a positive. I would advise him to apply to a LOT of schools where he is well qualified, surely one of them will understand how he has moved on and become a better person.

Two comments.

To my troubled colleague - life is filled with setbacks, some of our own making and some not. It doesnt matter. As hard as the hit may be when they occur (and it is often enormous), the key is to view them as an opportunties to better oneself. Like religion, though, military service is a calling of great honor. It is not the appropriate response to a personal setback. But one need only stand before the graves of Teddy Roosevelt Jr and the Niland (Private Ryan) brothers at Normandy to appreciate the capacity and sacrifice of ostensibly normal people. Be and always remain inspired and do the best that you can with the gifts you have been given. Godspeed.

Re Texas, how is it that the students are so well trained and regarded with a the law school experience seems so much less burdensome than other schools - is it the faculty?

stinechris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »
I am attending UT law school next fall and am planning on getting married October 25th - I was wondering what the course load is during this time of year. I am kind of getting nervous that there might be too much on my plate during the semester. Thanks!!
Christine

ricefigaro

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »
To address some of the previous questions:

1) The UT LRAP just recently got the green light by the dean. Details are still being worked out. I'm sure it will get pimped to next year's incoming class

2) There are a surprising number of international students. Mostly chinese, but I also know of a couple Brits, a Russian, and a few Indians. Also, there are some in the JD program who are clearly not native English speakers although they may be green card holders.

3) I have a 1L friend (top 15%) who got an offer from one of the big three in Houston.