Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: RC - the bane of my life...  (Read 1185 times)

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
RC - the bane of my life...
« on: December 22, 2007, 06:42:15 AM »
 If I can only get the RC down, I could get that dream score...but, it just seems impossible for me right now. I keep on missing 2~3 questions per passage. I do read for the structure. Most of the time it seems like I fail to understand the subtle difference between answer choices. Plus, I am slow as a turtle. I can barely finish two passages and if I am really lucky, maybe I can do half of the third passage. Can anyone help? This makes me wanna cry.  :'(

MHLM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: RC - the bane of my life...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 02:03:26 PM »
Tag. RC is a big weakness for me.

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 09:30:17 PM »
what frustrates me so much is that no matter how much I study, I can't seem to improve on RC. LR and LG improvements came slowly, but it was consistent process.  :(

The Stranger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:45:15 PM »
RC is by far my worst section, and I am confused as to why this is the case. I figure all of the reading that I have done has been ill suited to the LSAT because my approach has always been geared towards reading for pleasure or reading towards completing a task, whereas the LSAT requires intense concentration and critical thinking.

traydouche

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 03:21:14 AM »
Q: What kind of an idiot starts new threads and asks the same questions she's asked multiple times before, in multiple threads she's created in the past?
A: One with an inherent reading comprehension problem.
/rant

You have started multiple threads about this very thing many times over the past few months. You're telling me that after all the advice you were given, you still have not improved. Have you actually followed all the excellent advice given by the other posters in the past?

If you have and it has not helped, it is extremely unlikely that any new strategy will help you make any substantial improvements anytime soon. Maybe you should just accept your failings in the RC and focus on getting a perfect on the other three sections.

The only hope for you now is to pick up some dense reading material, preferably scholarly journals on subject matter that has appeared on the LSAT and READ.

(Alternate answer) Read the RC thread mentioned in the stickies and read the replies you got in your past RC threads. Apply that advice to each passage you attempt. Take a half-hour or an hour to understand it, the questions and the answers completely. Then do another passage. Continue until you have done 150 passages. Then start picking up the pace. AND START READING THE JOURNALS, FCUKFACE.

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 10:18:39 PM »
The truth is, I AM getting nearly perfect on the other sections. I barely miss a question on games, and I consistently miss 1~2 on LR. As you can tell, RC is really difficult for me and I wish there could be some magical solution to my problem.  :P

dac

• View Profile
    • Relationship-Buddy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 12:46:03 AM »
My Dec. breakdown went:

LR -2
Games -3
Lr -3
RC -9

...I hear ya.

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 12:52:38 AM »
when are you planning to take the test?  i thought you were taking it in december.
seeing king midas everywhere.

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 12:11:05 PM »
I will be taking either the Feb or June one, depending on how much I improve on my RC. Thanks Wallace for the suggestion. I read tons of Economist articles, didn't seem to help much. hmm..  :P

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 12:48:18 PM »
Allow me to weigh in on this subject. I was in your same position and understand how frustrating it is.  If you have worked on RC for so long, implemented every possible strategy, and still have no improvement, I wouldn't expect any improvement at this point. I always missed 7-9 in that section after trying every possible technique with no improvement. Thus, after taking the LSAT twice after considerable RC practice with no improvement, I've come to accept my 162 score. This is why...

Reading compreshension is a product of verbal intelligence and working memory. Oftentimes, individuals with learning disabilities associated with reading comprehension are shown to have verbal intelligence scores something like 6+ points higher than their working memory scores. Obviously, you don't have any sort of learning disability and neither do I. But 2 years ago, when I was diagnosed with ADD, I had to take the WAIS-III intelligence test, which showed that my working memory was a statistical weakness, something like 6 points lower than my overall verbal intelligence. I strongly believe this explains, at least in part, my general weakness in RC yet strength in the other 3 sections.

I also know that it is not possible to make noticeable improvements in working memory. I believe this may explain why most people who have not made drastic improvements in the RC section after tons of practice probably never will make drastic improvement due in part to a fixed working memory that inhibits complex reading comprehension in such a short amount of time as on the RC section. Those who miraculously improve on the day of the test may be lucky enough to get passages with familiar subject matter.

Can someone else weigh in? I think this logically makes sense but I'd be interested to hear what others think. Bottom line, I think you're wasting your time reading scholarly articles and the Economist. That is only going to help you in the sense that you may become familiar with certain subject matter that may possibly appear on the LSAT. And the chances of that are remote. If you want to improve your LSAT score, you're better off working to perfect the other 3 sections. Or if you're daring enough, try taking some creatine! There's a recent study out that shows it can drastically improve short-term memory.