Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please be brutally honest!!!!!!!  (Read 1628 times)

casper86

• View Profile
    • Email
Please be brutally honest!!!!!!!
« on: December 22, 2007, 05:06:26 AM »
I have a 3.93 and a 157 LSAT. Not a minority. Any chances in school in NY or Cali schools ??? Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Please be brutally honest!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 05:37:45 AM »
I have a 3.93 and a 157 LSAT. Not a minority. Any chances in school in NY or Cali schools ??? Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Uh, yeah?  You need to calm down, dude.

Don't know about New York, but you have a great shot at schools like University of San Francisco, Santa Clara, McGeorge, San Diego, Loyola, and Pepperdine.  You'd also get a look at Hastings and Davis.  Depending on your soft factors and alma mater, you may get more than a glance from UCLA and USC, although those two are probably out.  You're likely not going to make the cut at Boalt despite your high GPA, and I can guarantee you Stanford is out unless you're a URM (which you're not).
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 08:01:44 AM »
Retake the LSAT. You're not likely to get into the heavy hitters in those regions, which are very competitive for jobs.

The schools you're likely to get into just offer high debt with mediocre to relatively poor job prospects for the average student. Your undergrad GPA is great, but there is no guarantee you'll repeat the performance in law school. Many UG over achievers wind up with average grades in law school and mediocre to poor job prospects as a result.

Are you rich and well-connected?

If not the second best advice I can give is to look into your local state law school.

Overall, your best option is going to be a retake. Make sure you figure out whatever it is that you need to do differently to prepare better this time...I'm sure those on the LSAT message board can help you.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 09:24:11 AM »
Retake the LSAT. You're not likely to get into the heavy hitters in those regions, which are very competitive for jobs.

The schools you're likely to get into just offer high debt with mediocre to relatively poor job prospects for the average student. Your undergrad GPA is great, but there is no guarantee you'll repeat the performance in law school. Many UG over achievers wind up with average grades in law school and mediocre to poor job prospects as a result.

If not the second best advice I can give is to look into your local state law school.

Overall, your best option is going to be a retake. Make sure you figure out whatever it is that you need to do differently to prepare better this time...I'm sure those on the LSAT message board can help you.

TITCR if you are WILLING to wait another year and if you did not prep as well as you absolutely could have. If you can increase your score to say, 162-3, you will be in much better shape. Get it to a 165 and I think you're in a T14 or Boalt.
Vandy 1L... really?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 09:36:43 AM »

I'm of the opinion that this is because these students don't study smart, but study hard.  LS seems to respond well to tactics and forest-through-the-trees thinking instead of just hard work.

Then again, I'm not a student yet, but is this a reasonably accurate thought?

What a hijack Wally.  ;) But I THINK your right. My 3.82 GPA is a product of a lot of procrastination, and then pulling all nighters finishing papers and studying 12hrs/day for a few days leading up to the final. It worked out in undergrad - but I know I'm going to have to learn to study steadily, every day, in LS.
Vandy 1L... really?

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 01:34:04 PM »
Calm down friend...you are going to get into a law school in either California or New York. Allow me to say that going to a school outside of T1 is acceptable...if that is something you yourself are willing to accept. There are plenty of anecdotal stories as to how one can prosper graduating from such schools. However, if you want to crack into T1 schools, by all means consider applying to those schools this cycle. If you do not get in, consider retaking the LSAT if you believe you could do significantly better (i.e. 160s)
Two schools enter, one school leaves: Harvard defeated MasterBlaster.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TallisUmbras

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 04:14:13 PM »

TITCR if you are WILLING to wait another year and if you did not prep as well as you absolutely could have. If you can increase your score to say, 162-3, you will be in much better shape. Get it to a 165 and I think you're in a T14 or Boalt.

While you would have a better shot at Boalt with, say, a 165, the first post quoted here is NOT the credited response.  Law school is what you make of it.  All of the schools I listed are just fine.  I won't argue with the fact that you have much better prospects coming out of Boalt than coming out of McGeorge, but don't listen to all these damn 0L n00b naysayers who don't know what the @#!* they're talking about.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 02:47:25 AM »

I'm of the opinion that this is because these students don't study smart, but study hard.  LS seems to respond well to tactics and forest-through-the-trees thinking instead of just hard work.

Then again, I'm not a student yet, but is this a reasonably accurate thought?

Sort of.  For one thing all generalizations of sort of correct and sort of incorrect.  Further, while I generally agree that in law school have depth to your understanding is the difference between the top students and the hard workers stuck in the middle of the class, its hard to describe how even the intelligence among students is in law school compared to undergrad so that exam taking skills is just as important your learning style, though they are both important.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

casper86

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 04:44:52 AM »
Ya, maybe I should calm down.
My aim is to get into the 3rd or 4th tier schools anyways, since I want to go part-time. I applied to only part-time programs in NY and southern Cali.

Guy in Gorilla Suit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »
I am a 2007 grad from a non-first-tier CA ABA school which will remain nameless for the purpose of keeping my anonymity. Casper, the truth is that virtually anyone can get into some kind of law school. The only things that really matter for law school selection are 1) debt load required to attend and 2) career prospects available to those outside the top 10%. In CA, the only 4 schools that offer good career prospects are: Stanford, Boalt, UCLA, and USC. You have a shot at a decent firm from Davis or Hastings. All other schools are similar in terms of career prospects, and you should go to whichever school offers you the biggest scholarship.

As for getting in, I can assure you with confidence that you will get in somewhere in CA. You may even be offered a scholarship at a 3rd or 4th tier school.