Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OK to have only graduate professors?  (Read 1001 times)

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
OK to have only graduate professors?
« on: September 30, 2004, 12:02:14 PM »
This is my second year in graduate school. I know the professors here better than my undergrad profs (whom I am not in touch with). Is it OK to have two recommendations from grad professors (and one from an employer) but no undergrad profs?

dr_draino

Re: OK to have only graduate professors?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 12:03:58 PM »
That's what I'm doing...

This is my second year in graduate school. I know the professors here better than my undergrad profs (whom I am not in touch with). Is it OK to have two recommendations from grad professors (and one from an employer) but no undergrad profs?

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 12:14:32 PM »
Same here.  I'm having the director of my graduate program write my LOR. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

lexylit

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 12:47:14 PM »
are you just 2 years out? i wanted to stick to grad profs and not other my UG, but i was advised it would be better to get one of each-- unless youve been out of school a really long time. it might be worth calling a UG prof, especially if you wrote a thesis or did research etc with one in particular. someone must have written your grad school rec and can just call it up to refresh his/her memory...?

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 01:02:57 PM »
i'm no expert; no one here is. i just felt when i looked around at schools' websites, most seemed to really encourage at least one UG rec if not two. i went with one UG (my thesis advisor and prof for two classes), one grad (from my MA, not PhD) and one work (an atty). it just seemed safer to follow the rules. maybe you could call the dept head and really talk so even if s/he didnt know you well before s/he might gain some insight? the rec couldve been stronger than you thought with only 4 majors to keep track of.

or grad could be fine, what do i know  :P

newy

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 01:10:26 PM »
I was advised by director of admissions from Hastings that a letter from a TA who knows you and your abilities is much preferred to a letter from a professor who doesn't know you that well.  She said that the point is to convey to the Ad Comm your current academic abilities and strengths. I assume the same goes for a grad professor or anyone else who can accurately attest to your functionality in an academic environment.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 01:14:45 PM »
When I talked to the asst dean of admin at the local school , she didn't place too much stock in LOR's - Her words were something like - Anyone should be able to find three people to say something nice about them.  But I think every school is different.  For me, being out so long, I went with a former employer and a friend who's an attorney.  I only needed two LOR's, my third would have been a graduate prof who I had worked with in a previous job a long time ago.  IMO you want someone who can speak about your ability to succeed in LS, your upstanding moral character, your work ethic, your leadership ability, etc.  Generally profs have a handle on your work ethic and your ability to succeed, but employers would be a good alternative.