Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU Law Class of 2011!  (Read 29306 times)

esquirette

• View Profile
Re: NYU Law Class of 2011!
« Reply #200 on: July 05, 2008, 05:41:51 PM »
Did any of you choose NYU over Chicago?  If so, can you elaborate on why?  I'm struggling to make the decision...

I chose NYU over Chicago. Based on my interests (death penalty work), it was a no-brainer. It depends on what you want to do, but in just about every field NYU places much better then U Chicago. It's obviously the case for PI work or government work, but also for BigLaw placement, especially in NYC, the biglaw capital of the world.

Chicago has some pluses over NYU, mainly clerkship placement, although the gap there is not huge and has narrowed lately. Professor placement is also higher, but once again not a huge gap. Both of these seem largely influenced by self selection as well so its hard to tell. Brian Leiter has good rankings on the topic, but he himself admits that self selection is a problem.

NYU just seems to have better oppurtunities in more fields: much better clinics, better biglaw placement, better PI placement, better government placement, as well as amazing placement for summer jobs and for fellowships. And the areas where Chicago does have an edge are few and that edge is quite slim.

I chose NYU because it seemed like it would open more doors. NYC wasn't too big of a plus at the time, although now the more i think about it the more excited i am to be living in NYC and have so much exposure to all of its resources. I've been browsing NYU's summer placement guides (man i'm a gunner) and the myriad of unbelivable summer oppurtunities right outside my door is amazing. Chicago, while a great city, just can't compete with that.

(Nerd Alert)  Where did you find the summer placement guide??  I'd like to look at that too, actually.

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
Well, I'm focused on PI work, so the reports I know about relate to that field.  This page has is an archive of reports that students fill out to detail their 1L PI jobs. http://www.law.nyu.edu/depts/publicinterest/summer/index.html (the intern reports link)

There is alot of stuff on the career services page, however, for statistics and placement in all sorts of fields. And while I only know where the PI job search guides are (here: http://its.law.nyu.edu/pilc/career/index.cfm) I'm sure that similar guides and resources exist for firm or government work.

esquirette

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »
Ok cool.  Yeah, I'd found the public interest ones, but I'll keep looking to see if I can find the data for other forms of employment.  Thanks!