Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Indian = URM?  (Read 3706 times)

groundkontrol

• View Profile
Indian = URM?
« on: December 21, 2007, 10:32:40 AM »
I am a black URM at Cornell University. One of best friends here is an Indian female (from India, not Native American). Would she be considered a URM by the T14 schools? Thanks.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Indian = URM?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 10:33:55 AM »
No.

RedNinja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 01:10:50 AM »
Haha, look around at your fellow students. Do Indian students seem to be underrepresented with respect to their percentage of Americans who are Indian American? IF yes, then yes, if no, then no =)

blupblup

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 03:28:03 AM »
 According to 2000 Census, 3.6% of all Americans are Asian-American, and only 2.2% of all American lawyers are Asian-American. Both cite their sources as the 2000 U.S. Census (and the lawyers # is from the ABA. Couldn't find the number specifically for Indians, but I imagine it's somewhat proportional to the rest of the Asian population. Indians make up 1% of the American population, and I imagine they make up less than that of the American lawyers population.

So, while Indians are not nearly as underrepresented as Blacks or Hispanics in law, they're certainly not an ORM and Asians ought to stop being treated as such.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 10:35:05 AM »
Nevertheless, the answer is no.  She won't be a URM.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

stedwards03

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 04:03:11 AM »
To: blupblup

Stop using outdated statistics.. asians are 8.2 percent of law school students.. and of the population 4.4 percent. You sound like a lame politician!

blupblup

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 02:05:07 PM »
To: blupblup

Stop using outdated statistics.. asians are 8.2 percent of law school students.. and of the population 4.4 percent. You sound like a lame politician!

I was using 2000 stats because they were the only one I could find. Sorry? But no need to be a jerk.