Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgia State Law PT - Do I have any chance?  (Read 606 times)

odstegall

• View Profile
    • Email
Georgia State Law PT - Do I have any chance?
« on: December 20, 2007, 07:28:42 PM »
I wanted to know if you thought I had any chance at Georgia State Law PT. I got a 151 on the December LSAT w/o any prep work. I haven't had the time for any prep work. I have an Undergrad GPA of 3.0. I worked full-time throughout my entire college career. I hold a Masters Degree in Human Resources with a 3.7 GPA. I put my wife through school while having 4 kids on the way. I did all this and I'm only 27 years old. Do I have any chance? I think I should be able to improve my score considerably if I have to but I don't really want to retest.

gclemen1

Re: Georgia State Law PT - Do I have any chance?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 08:02:37 PM »
I applied to Ga. State.  Check and make sure they even accept the Feb. LSAT.  And no, I highly doubt those numbers will not cut it for PT.  I don't have specific numbers, but I believe that the PT numbers are almost at the reg. numbers.  But, you never know.  PS, Ga. State is an awesome school!

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 08:41:10 PM »
I wanted to know if you thought I had any chance at Georgia State Law PT. I got a 151 on the December LSAT w/o any prep work. I haven't had the time for any prep work. I have an Undergrad GPA of 3.0. I worked full-time throughout my entire college career. I hold a Masters Degree in Human Resources with a 3.7 GPA. I put my wife through school while having 4 kids on the way. I did all this and I'm only 27 years old. Do I have any chance? I think I should be able to improve my score considerably if I have to but I don't really want to retest.

You're going to have to re-take the LSAT. GAState's PT numbers are the same as their regular numbers. You need to do a lot better. Try the Feb. LSAT with some prep. If you don't get in this year, but you do much better, reapply next year.

If you want to stay in Atlanta, you could probably get into John Marshall with your current numbers. However, I wouldn't recommend wasting your money on the school.

Good luck.

gclemen1

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 08:47:01 PM »
With your GPA, you would prob. need to get your LSAT up to about a 165 to be assured admittance!  Sorry dood :(

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »
I highly disagree with the advice given here. I have a very dear friend who got into GA State's full time program with a GPA lower than yours, a 151 LSAT and no Master's degree. She was also a non-trad w/ a spouse & kids your same age at the time....

Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Go ahead and apply, and sell yourself to the Adcoms. My friend said most of her classmates had Master's degrees. She was one of the few without one. Looks like you have a lot going for you.

Best wishes to you. ;)
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 11:14:34 PM »
I highly disagree with the advice given here. I have a very dear friend who got into GA State's full time program with a GPA lower than yours, a 151 LSAT and no Master's degree. She was also a non-trad w/ a spouse & kids your same age at the time....

Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Go ahead and apply, and sell yourself to the Adcoms. My friend said most of her classmates had Master's degrees. She was one of the few without one. Looks like you have a lot going for you.

Best wishes to you. ;)

That's great, but was she a URM? That would make a big difference. If she wasn't, then she must have had one heck of a personal statement, or cured cancer, because she was almost certainly a presumptive denial.

All you have to do is look at Georgia State's data on LSAC and see that there's not much of a chance to get in purely based on the OP's stats. However, a few people in his range were admitted. That being said, it overwhelming percentages are against him.

But you never know. The OP should go ahead an apply. A 3.7 masters GPA is nothing to scoff at.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:14:53 AM »

Best wishes to you. ;)

That's great, but was she a URM? That would make a big difference. If she wasn't, then she must have had one heck of a personal statement, or cured cancer, because she was almost certainly a presumptive denial.

All you have to do is look at Georgia State's data on LSAC and see that there's not much of a chance to get in purely based on the OP's stats. However, a few people in his range were admitted. That being said, it overwhelming percentages are against him.

But you never know. The OP should go ahead an apply. A 3.7 masters GPA is nothing to scoff at.

Yes, she is a URM, sure it was a boost, but I doubt it was a HUGE boost in her case, living in this part of the country. And no, she did not have any spectacular soft factors. She wasn't involved at her undergrad, had no community involvement and was your average working mother.

OP, if you can sell yourself and set yourself apart from the rest of the pack, you def have a shot. And again, GSU likes nontrads with master's degrees. From what little inside info I have about the school, You may have a shot at PT if you applied early.

With all that said, if you earned a 151 LSAT w/ no prep, you definitely need to do some prep and retake. It sounds daunting, but its better than sending out two rounds of apps with slim chances of getting into law school anywhere decent (speaking from experience).

You can be realistic about your chances at a given school, but at the end of the day, no one here can tell you what your chances are. You, like everyone else here can look at numbers and stats all day long, but you posted your question on this board to get some insight beyond the stats on LSAC or wherever else.

So just go ahead and apply and give it your best shot. For some schools it is almost entirely a numbers game (Although I think GSU is one of them). Others care slightly more about the person.

Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

namehasbeenchanged

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »
Any advice for me....ugpa 2.45  lsat 162 - extensive volunteer work - worked through undergrad - owned a business - 27 now - I applied for ft at gsu and am concerned about my chances - i think i have a strong ps and lors but am very worried as this is my #1 choice - any advice is greatly appreciated.  thanks!