Law School Discussion

Unexpected LSAT & Ensuing Chaos

Unexpected LSAT & Ensuing Chaos
« on: December 20, 2007, 05:22:03 PM »
My applications were mostly set. I was expecting a 165. I planned on accepting at a lower tier 1 or high tier 2 with a good scholarship. I scored a 175 on the December test, though, and the formula has changed. At this point I am unsure of what to do. I have very little guidance. My undergrad. institution advisers don't even answer my e-mails. Are there reputable consultants who can help guide me? Any help is appreciated.

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: Unexpected LSAT & Ensuing Chaos
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:23:19 PM »
This isn't really a problem. Apply to the top 14 and go from there!

gclemen1

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 05:23:25 PM »
What is your GPA?  If it is above a 3.5, I would suggest applying everywhere you can in the T-14...you should get some hits!

gclemen1

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »
This isn't really a problem. Apply to the top 14 and go from there!

I would LOVE to have "problems" like this!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 06:21:27 PM »
My GPA is 3.81. You say it's not much of a problem, but I do worry about location and quality of programs, especially in particular areas such as health law and business law. Relying on some magazine ranking isn't very comforting. I also worry that certain factors of my application might hurt (undergrad. quality, two cancellations, one no-show).

I do realize, though, that many others have difficult prospects and by no means do I want to disparage their struggles.

gclemen1

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 06:24:36 PM »
3.8 and a 175?  You should be fine buddy!  Just do some heavy research this week about the area you want to be in and the concentrations you are interested.  Youve got the world by the short & curlys.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 06:30:26 PM »
Maybe you're right. I know I'm in a great position. I just don't want to make a mistake and regret my choices. Thanks for your kind words.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 06:35:47 PM »
My GPA is 3.81. You say it's not much of a problem, but I do worry about location and quality of programs, especially in particular areas such as health law and business law. Relying on some magazine ranking isn't very comforting. I also worry that certain factors of my application might hurt (undergrad. quality, two cancellations, one no-show).

I do realize, though, that many others have difficult prospects and by no means do I want to disparage their struggles.

Apply to all T14 schools that interest you. Keep some of your current "reaches" around as safeties and so you have options. Your undergrad quality won't matter much-- your 175 puts you at a higher logical ability than most Harvard graduates.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 06:46:43 PM »
All right, Tetris. I think you make a good point.

Also, Cosmo, my average practice LSAT was 171 beforehand and the "prediction" was clearly a facetious remark, considering I never scored above 175 during practice. Not that I need to justify any comments. I'd like to move beyond forum bickering.

Bricolage: are you implying that it's as simple as being accepted and rejected when considering t14 choices? It is, in fact, a momentous decision for me. If it wasn't for you, I commend your calm.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 06:57:52 PM »
Is it really necessary to derail my thread, Cosmo? I can understand why I might be perceived as a liar or a "flame," but I'm just seeking help.