Law School Discussion

Here are the rankings based on placement at top law firms only

• View Profile
Here are the rankings based on placement at top law firms only
« on: December 20, 2007, 01:28:10 PM »
This study is based on 2005 numbers (it's just a copy and paste...the link is at the bottom):

New (Leiter) Study of Law Schools with Most National Placement at Top Law Firms

Here are the top 15 law schools based on success in placing graduates at top firms nationwide; the name of each school is followed by its normalized score, and then its previous rank in the 2003 study:

1.  Harvard University (100) (1)

2.  University of Chicago (96) (2)

2.  University of Virginia (96) (4)

4.  Yale University (93) (3)

5.  Stanford University (89) (6)

6.  University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (86) (5)

7.  Columbia University (82) (7)

7.  Duke University (82) (9)

9.  New York University (80) (11)

9.  University of Pennsylvania (80) (10)

11. Georgetown University (77) (8 )

11. University of Texas, Austin (77) (12)

13. Cornell University (76) (15)

14. University of California, Berkeley (73) (16)

15. George Washington University (71) (17)

15. Vanderbilt University (71) (14)

No significant changes here from the 2003 study, except, perhaps, the relatively weak performance by Northwestern, which was 13th in my 2003 study, and falls just outside the top 15 in Mr. Sullivan's study, with a normalized score of 66 (tied with Boston University at 17th, a school I had not studed in 2003). 

http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2005/03/new_study_of_na.html

Any thoughts....(Mine: I had no idea Chicago was so strong)

Re: Here are the rankings based on placement at top law firms only
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 01:36:43 PM »
Tell us something we didn't already know. Get into a T20 law school and you're set.

What would be more useful would be if Leiter actually did the research to look down to the t100 range. Schools like Fordham and Case Western I believe have decent placement relative to their rankings.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 01:58:57 PM »
Tell us something we didn't already know. Get into a T20 law school and you're set.

What would be more useful would be if Leiter actually did the research to look down to the t100 range. Schools like Fordham and Case Western I believe have decent placement relative to their rankings.

It doesn't help you, but it may help some people...sometimes I think we assume everyone knows all the dominant sites when they don't.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 03:11:49 PM »
Ehh, the Leiter rankings are somewhat worthless.  You can't do a ranking based on national opportunities just based on where people go.  Yale travels better than UVA, but Yale graduates tend to cluster in the Northeast by choice.  UVA grads tend to split between Southern markets like Atlanta, DC, and NY by choice.  This doesn't mean that UVA carries more weight nationally than Yale, it is just self-selection.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:54:03 PM »
Please remember that this is based on "top" BIGLAW firms and not all BIGLAW firms.  The methodology for finding the "top" law firms is pretty much junk.

This ranking also favors larger schools over small schools - and does not follow self-selection trends of the students...

What I am saying is that this ranking is crap

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 05:35:58 PM »
I don't like Leiter's rankings, but I think this combined with a couple other resources can show you that if you don't attend one of the schools on this list, among perhaps ten others your chances of getting a job at a large firm, or elite law firm are not good.

http://mblog.lib.umich.edu/OCSlawcareers/archives/2007/02/largest_law_fir_1.html

Here is another interesting link. Note that it doesn't take into account large regional firms and high powered boutiques that aren't on the NLJ250, so this is also imperfect. The NLJ250 is just the largest 250 firms in the country. I like it better than any of Leiter's rankings though.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 07:54:44 PM »
NLJ250 are just the 250 largest firms in the U.S. Not necessarily the most prestigious or the best or even all of "big law". In all probability, a good number of Stanford grads may be working at small high powered boutique shops or well-known firms on the west coast that just aren't in the NLJ250 or doing clerkships or whatever.

Those are just percentages of students out of that year's class at the NLJ250, there is no purported "ranking".

Whether or not a T14 grad can work at the most "prestigious" biglaw firms or high powered boutiques will depend largely on grades,even at the T14. Refer to your career services "guide to employers" or "employment book" if you don't believe me.