Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deferred at Minnesota  (Read 927 times)

Vietnow

• View Profile
Deferred at Minnesota
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:24:33 AM »
Anyone else? I was EA and had a letter from Minnesota sent to my home. Apparently there was something in there about applying for financial aid?!?

WTF?!?!? Why would I be interested in applying for financial aid if you just deferred my application? Anybody else get this as well?

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: Deferred at Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »
I got this as well. They're basically just saying that you should start your FAFSA stuff no matter what. If you do get in, then great, you'll have the fafsa stuff done. If you dont' get in, you'll have it done for your other schools. That's how I read it anyways.

FB

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 02:00:36 PM »
Deferred here as well. Crap.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 02:55:06 PM »
Just to clarify, when they defer, they do it by mail? But they accept over  email (in addition to a snail mail package)?

When did you guys go complete? I was complete on 1st of November and yet to hear anything back. I was thinking today would be the day, but I think the mail has already been delivered at my house.

FB

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 03:19:13 PM »
Just to clarify, when they defer, they do it by mail? But they accept over  email (in addition to a snail mail package)?

When did you guys go complete? I was complete on 1st of November and yet to hear anything back. I was thinking today would be the day, but I think the mail has already been delivered at my house.

Yeah. One sheet of paper saying that they are holding your application for now.

I went complete on 11/1 as well.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 03:31:47 PM »

Yeah. One sheet of paper saying that they are holding your application for now.

I went complete on 11/1 as well.

Thanks for the info. By the way congratulations on WUSTL (a school i'm hoping for).

I think i know who you are on LSN, and I think you might be able to snag a T-14. Good luck, man.

Vietnow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 09:35:48 PM »
Minnesota is being prudish again and upping their criteria for admission way beyond what they reasonably should. It's a public state school in the Midwest man, come on. Good school but not supergreatawesomeballshits.

It does seem like they're accepting people that in all likelihood will not attend there; people using MN as a backup for the t14. They always seem kind of prudish. I was accepted there last year after they deferred my decision during the RD cycle. And they only put me on hold for like two weeks. I'm a little pissed about it; I guess I feel a sense of entitlement because they accepted me last year haha.

I know that's crazy but whatever, I'm sticking to my: "they should have accepted me right away, and now if I get in anywhere else comparable I'm going to tell MN to go f*ck themselves" But I can be irrational sometimes

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 09:57:33 PM »
I heard back from Minnesota 2 weeks after I sent my application through LSAC. They accepted me by phone and on a Friday morning.

I don't think they're being THAT selective... my numbers aren't great, after all. In fact I think Minnesota may end up being the highest ranked school to accept me.

If I had to choose between Minnesota and William & Mary I think I'd choose William & Mary. If you don't mind me asking, what do you all find appealing about Minnesota?
_______
.|E|R|S.

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Minnesota isn't much of a backup for the T14 in terms of national private firm placement, though I think they are pretty good with clerkships.  I think places like UIUC and other such regional schools closer to big markets and good enough to get the BIGLAW leftovers (in UIUC's case, those leftover from NU and Chicago) are more likely to be T14 backups.

Vietnow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 11:28:30 PM »
I heard back from Minnesota 2 weeks after I sent my application through LSAC. They accepted me by phone and on a Friday morning.

I don't think they're being THAT selective... my numbers aren't great, after all.
In fact I think Minnesota may end up being the highest ranked school to accept me.

If I had to choose between Minnesota and William & Mary I think I'd choose William & Mary. If you don't mind me asking, what do you all find appealing about Minnesota?

Using LSN as a rough guide I would say that you are auto-admit for Minnesota. Their 75% LSAT is 167 and you're close to the median for GPA (don't recall it off the top of my head). I would assume that you're applying at a few t14, and would also assume that you'd go to any of them over Minnesota? Yeah? So Minnesota is a backup for you.

PS
I think you'll get into higher ranked schools than Minnesota, you've got real solid numbers.

Minnesota isn't much of a backup for the T14 in terms of national private firm placement, though I think they are pretty good with clerkships.  I think places like UIUC and other such regional schools closer to big markets and good enough to get the BIGLAW leftovers (in UIUC's case, those leftover from NU and Chicago) are more likely to be T14 backups.

Agreed, as far as national placement. Minnesota places best in the Midwest, esp the upper Midwest. And I should have qualified my statement that "Minnesota is a t14 backup" with "primarily for applicants from the upper Midwest" (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, maybe Illinois to a certain extent). It serves a similar function as say GWU; you'd rather go to GULC but GWU will give you access to the same market.