Law School Discussion

Loyola vs. Chi-Kent Hypothetical

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Loyola vs. Chi-Kent Hypothetical
« on: December 19, 2007, 08:55:39 PM »
I've been accepted to both already, with $20k/yr at Kent and $15k/yr at Loyola. My questions is this: Are there any tangible differences between these 2 schools in employment prospects in Chicago, quality of faculty, courses, or anything.

Now, to make it interesting. I don't really care about Kent's well-known "technical" legal specialties, ie IP law. I also am not that interested in Loyola's perceived strengths in Litigation. Come to mention it, I also got into DePaul with a $20k/yr as well, however I'm not interested in health law, and from what I hear, that's about all it has going for it.

So is there anything separating these 2 schools, if one is not interested in pursing either IP or Litigation?  As of now I'm leaning towards staying in the Chicago area, so it will probably come down to these 2 schools, I guess I'm looking for some insight into what sets them apart, before I go tour them next month. Thanks in advance!

Secant Tangent Cosine Sine 3.14159

• "Do you know what happens to a toad..."
    • View Profile
Re: Loyola vs. Chi-Kent Hypothetical
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 09:06:35 PM »
Hello:

Despite the obvious ranking difference (around twenty spots in favor of Kent), I think the general consensus is that both have a strong regional placement record in the Chicagoland area.  Personally, I would prefer Kent.  If academics isn't an issue for you, I have read some very compelling stories about internship and externship opportunities pursued there.  It has a history of blazing trails and incorporating a lot of student involvement.   I also like the location much better (West Loop) because it is an up-and-coming area of the city that is getting better by the minute it seems.  I have lived at 949 West Madison (not far at all from the school) in a terrific, very reasonably priced condo (which alas, I did not own myelf) that sat positioned amongst many others like it.   Oh and how can you beat walking distance to Greektown with all that great breakfast and lunch food!? Yum!

HTH

Secant

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 10:28:20 AM »
Pick the school that is giving you the renewable scholarship UNCONDITIONALLY, with no first year GPA strings attached. If a school is offering a conditional scholarship based on first year GPA, you should not expect to keep the scholarship beyond the first year.

Specialty programs and the like, and marginal differences in rankings don't really mean anything except to naive pre-laws. There is no functional difference between a school ranked #64 and one ranked #86 for example.

Lots of schools have internships and externships, so what? Placement for permanent jobs really comes down to grades. If you're in the top 10% or so at any of these schools, you might have a shot at a big bucks job at a large firm...if your grades are average, you won't have a shot at those opportunities, it's that simple.

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:27:45 AM »
Both scholarships are dependent on grades. 3.2's for both I believe. I'm not counting on having them after the first year necessarily, so that's not as big of a factor (although it's still important in my decision for the first year).

I'm wondering more about things such as openness of faculty, student communities, commute times, facilities, acedemic differences, etc. I know that neither one will probably provide a significant advantage employment-wise upon graduation (correct me if I'm wrong though!) Just looking to get a heads up on any big differences before I can go visit next month.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 11:51:09 AM »
If you end up getting into Minn. , I'd go there hands down with in-state tuition over any of the other schools on your LSN list. If you haven't already, send them a letter of continued interest and let them know you want to attend.

The majority of the schools on your list offer big debt loads and mediocre to poor job prospects for most students. Not a good combo.

Employment opportunities and debt load are pretty much the things that matter most. Nearly all of the other stuff is just fluff in most circumstances.

If any school touts the "openness of their faculty", that is largely B.S. I'd rather not go into a lengthy explanation here, but you'll see what I mean after you have a semester or two of law school under your belt.

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 09:33:56 AM »
Any other thoughts?

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:44:45 AM »
Personally given your situation I would choose the cheapest of the three and if they are all equal then Depaul as they have the deepest alumni network in the city. Don't buy into the speciality hype of any school. I find that it matters very little on the job market.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 10:06:05 AM »
Someone with your numbers has no business going to any of the three (or four) mediocre Chicago city schools.  You'll at least get into Madison.  Go there if you don't have better options.  You'll be paying MN reciprocity tuition there, which isn't great but a lot cheaper than an expired scholarship at DePaul or Kent or whatever.

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 02:04:21 PM »
Someone with your numbers has no business going to any of the three (or four) mediocre Chicago city schools.  You'll at least get into Madison.  Go there if you don't have better options.  You'll be paying MN reciprocity tuition there, which isn't great but a lot cheaper than an expired scholarship at DePaul or Kent or whatever.

Yea I'm still waiting to hear from Madison, if I get in there I'll go, but I'm thinking of backups since I was waitlisted at Minn, who's to say I won't be waitlisted at Madison too..

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 05:07:49 PM »
"Placement for permanent jobs really comes down to grades."
-This isn't true. A lot of people land the jobs they got after law school from internships and connections they made during their years in school. So, there is an argument for going to school in the city you would like to end up in over a higher ranked school because it will likely open the door to jobs.

Anyway, I've heard that Kent students are overall more satisfied with the administration at their school than Loyola and Depaul students.  And, if you care at all about the future of the school you choose, Kent seems to have that going on over Loyola. They won this year's National Trial Competition, their bar passage rates are now higher than schools ranked much higher than them, and they have recently been recognized as very underrated. Loyola probably has more layman name recognition, but this could change over time.