Law School Discussion

-

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tips for Impressing Admissions Officers on Your Campus Visit
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »
I visited CLS, and when the director said "Columbia is the second-larges land owner in Manhattan", this kid raised his hand and said "I think you are wrong about that - NYU just bought more land than you guys".

That guy was a tool.

Not necessarily.  When I visited, I asked what, in the adcomm's opinion, distinguished Columbia from NYU for people that may have to pick between the two based on more than top dog status.  I think it's a fair question (the elephant in the room, even), but not nearly as bad as that one.
LOL, your question was totally legit.

This guy was trying to brag because apparently he was an NYU UG, and it came off sounding like... "Pff... you ain't hot poo, CLS. NYU >>> You."

Oh god, your original post was serious?? Wow. I laughed out loud at you for being funny, not reporting.
LOL. It's true. :(

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 02:31:20 PM »
I visited CLS, and when the director said "Columbia is the second-larges land owner in Manhattan", this kid raised his hand and said "I think you are wrong about that - NYU just bought more land than you guys".

That guy was a tool.

Not necessarily.  When I visited, I asked what, in the adcomm's opinion, distinguished Columbia from NYU for people that may have to pick between the two based on more than top dog status.  I think it's a fair question (the elephant in the room, even), but not nearly as bad as that one.
LOL, your question was totally legit.

This guy was trying to brag because apparently he was an NYU UG, and it came off sounding like... "Pff... you ain't hot poo, CLS. NYU >>> You."

Oh god, your original post was serious?? Wow. I laughed out loud at you for being funny, not reporting.
Do schools look at you poorly if you request an interview?  Can you or would they think you are an idiot?
Depends on the school. If you are WL'd at Cornell, for example, they specifically give you the option to request an interview.

What about deferred? :)
LOL... I have no clue.  :)

COME ON BEARLY!!!!!  I NEED TO KNOW!  lol
Haha. I wish I could help. I still haven't heard jack from Cornell, and I also applied EA. :(

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2007, 02:41:53 PM »
Sorry Cosmo. The only Cosmos I know are male: my brother's dog and Kramer from Seinfeld. At least it got people giving you advice outside of wardrobe, right?

KD03

• ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2007, 03:32:47 PM »
Oh ok - well then can someone solve my problem with the hot TX weather?

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2007, 03:40:34 PM »
Just read the whole thread....

When I toured UVA last spring, I wore jeans, sperrys, and my sorority jacket.  :-\ Whoops.

MHLM

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2007, 03:49:16 PM »
I think there was some confusion about whether the OP was soliciting advice about touring a school or interviewing with admissions...hence the variance on appropriate attire. I assumed from the thread title that we were discussing an interview with someone from admissions, but I believe I was mistaken.  :-[

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2007, 04:06:17 PM »
Impressing these people is not always a matter of trying to impress.  Be humble and erudite, and I think everything will work out, which means that I would try to use the "two ears, one mouth" rule as much as possible.  Don't forget: adcomms are the ones with the monopoly on the school's information.

I visited CLS and spoke with an adcomm last year, and I think I blew it because I wanted to hear myself speak and to IMPRESS (all CAPS).  Luckily, the meeting was anonymous, and I doubt that the adcomm remembers me, but I analyzed the meeting and came to the conclusion that I should have gone for more humility, less "wow" factor.

That's where I disagree with Ivey, who seems to think that an interview is like a socratic battle.  It's not.  It's a chance to show them you're a good guy (or girl), and you do that through not trying too hard.
Holy *&^% Wally. This process is seriously changing you. /standing ovation

KD03

• ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2007, 04:18:04 PM »
I know right? LSD account hacked?