Law School Discussion

-

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tips for Impressing Admissions Officers on Your Campus Visit
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2007, 12:32:03 PM »
I visited CLS, and when the director said "Columbia is the second-larges land owner in Manhattan", this kid raised his hand and said "I think you are wrong about that - NYU just bought more land than you guys".

That guy was a tool.

Not necessarily.  When I visited, I asked what, in the adcomm's opinion, distinguished Columbia from NYU for people that may have to pick between the two based on more than top dog status.  I think it's a fair question (the elephant in the room, even), but not nearly as bad as that one.
LOL, your question was totally legit.

This guy was trying to brag because apparently he was an NYU UG, and it came off sounding like... "Pff... you ain't hot *&^%, CLS. NYU >>> You."

KD03

• ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2007, 12:35:26 PM »
I visited CLS, and when the director said "Columbia is the second-larges land owner in Manhattan", this kid raised his hand and said "I think you are wrong about that - NYU just bought more land than you guys".

That guy was a tool.

LOL - S-M-R-T Smart!!  :D

KD03

• ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 12:41:54 PM »
You know, if there's anything this process has taught me, it's that stunningly intelligent people capable of getting into the best law schools in the nation can do things so idiotic, it boggles the mind as to how anyone so smart can act that stupid.

I think the process brings out a very special brand of desperation that makes people temporarily lose their common sense sometimes. Even I found myself asking a gunnertastic question at a law school admissions Q&A at the business school. It was too specific and random, some of the adcomms seemed unprepared for it so they looked a little irritated at me for asking.

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 12:42:59 PM »
You know, if there's anything this process has taught me, it's that stunningly intelligent people capable of getting into the best law schools in the nation can do things so idiotic, it boggles the mind as to how anyone so smart can act that stupid.

<---- speechless.
^-- I, too was flabbergasted.

Post of the day, Wally!  :D

KD03

• ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »
Exactly, but I want to hear more anecdotes. What happened to the ASD Horror Stories thread? Some of those were un-freaking-believable!

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2007, 01:09:19 PM »

<---- speechless.

Oh Wallace.  :D

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
The guys asks for advice on how to impress on a tour and he gets 4 pages on what to wear.

I'm a girl!  Should I change my SN so Cosmita?

I knew you were a girl.

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2007, 02:07:56 PM »
Do schools look at you poorly if you request an interview?  Can you or would they think you are an idiot?
Depends on the school. If you are WL'd at Cornell, for example, they specifically give you the option to request an interview.

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2007, 02:09:24 PM »
Do schools look at you poorly if you request an interview?  Can you or would they think you are an idiot?
Depends on the school. If you are WL'd at Cornell, for example, they specifically give you the option to request an interview.

What about deferred? :)
LOL... I have no clue.  :)

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »

That guy was a tool.

Not necessarily.  When I visited, I asked what, in the adcomm's opinion, distinguished Columbia from NYU for people that may have to pick between the two based on more than top dog status.  I think it's a fair question (the elephant in the room, even), but not nearly as bad as that one.
LOL, your question was totally legit.

This guy was trying to brag because apparently he was an NYU UG, and it came off sounding like... "Pff... you ain't hot *&^%, CLS. NYU >>> You."

Oh god, your original post was serious?? Wow. I laughed out loud at you for being funny, not reporting.