Law School Discussion

-

KD03

• ?
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for Impressing Admissions Officers on Your Campus Visit
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »
I really don't know what to do, the weather here is very unpredictable - it could be 40 degrees one day and 80 the next. Or it could be 40 degrees when I start the tour and be 80 when I finish. Either way it's likely to be muggy so you're never really comfortable. On top of this, because of the wild fluctuations in weather you never know what people are going to be doing with the heat/ac. I have this vision of myself sweating in long sleeves and pants or alternately shivering in skirt and short sleeved sweater. Texas... :(

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 10:31:43 AM »
I think it's important to fly your gang colors right when you visit a law school. If you are going to visit UCLA USC, for example, remember to leave your blue bandana on the left side (yeah, that's da crip side).

Fixed.
Sorry, I get my gang references only from Snoop D-O-Double-G songs. I don't know what I'm talking about. :(

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 11:29:33 AM »
The guys asks for advice on how to impress on a tour and he gets 4 pages on what to wear.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 11:35:50 AM »
The guys asks for advice on how to impress on a tour and he gets 4 pages on what to wear.

Ok here is something then: Follow up with a hand-written thank you note.

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 11:38:01 AM »
Time for another episode of good idea / bad idea:

Good Idea: Follow up with a handwritten thank you note!

Bad Idea: Follow up by showing up at his front porch in the middle of the night with a handwritten thank you note!

:)

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 11:39:07 AM »
I think it's important to fly your gang colors right when you visit a law school. If you are going to visit UCLA, for example, remember to leave your blue pink bandana on the left side (yeah, that's da crip "We lost the game so we're jealous" side).

Fixed.

TallisUmbras

• The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 11:50:20 AM »

Couldn't agree more. Since the OP asked for personal experiences, I will share mine. I went to the Northwestern interview wearing the whole nine yards. The three gentlemen who went before me were dressed similarly with a black suit, overcoat, black shoes etc. The one girl who came there wearing what she had worn to work stood out in a negative way. My own opinion is that if you are going to a formal interview that you should dress the part.

After my NW interview I also toured some of the Chicago-area schools in scheduled tours and one open house. At the open house, only 1 other person wore a suit. Everyone else was dressed business casual. I felt a bit awkward having dressed so formally, especially in hindsight as we had a chance to meet with admission's officials. The officials may have taken note of the questions we asked but there was never an opportunity to engage them 1 on 1. The purpose of wearing the suit thus went unnoticed (I think.) In my other experiences, I also wore the suit and felt much more comfortable when I had the chance to take individual tours. I was confident and I think the way I dressed projected that.

As for how to impress on these tours, let me also share my experiences from the open house. A kid there made references to the school's program in such a flippant manner as to make everyone (officials included) uncomfortable. Another person asked such general questions (such as "what is a good LSAT score to get in here?") as to make me shake my head. I think targeted, specific questions made the officials take note if they even did at all. As soon as somoene started asking about the LRAP program, everyone else started asking questions about the same. When I asked about a certain scholarship that they offer, the same happened. These were the kind of questions the officer said "good question" to.

Finally, don't overthink your visits too much. From what I have seen thus far, you are going to meet with students and low-level admissions officers. Just going to the school demonstrates interest. Carry yourself as a gentlemen and you will be fine.

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 11:53:24 AM »
I visited CLS, and when the director said "Columbia is the second-larges land owner in Manhattan", this kid raised his hand and said "I think you are wrong about that - NYU just bought more land than you guys".

That guy was a tool.

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
Make sure not to show up drunk, and if you meet with any professors/ admissions officers, don't give a sly nod and ask "You like to party?" If this does happen, don't break the awkward silence that is sure to follow by pointing at another prospective student and saying "He/She knows what I'm talking about...yeahhhh" - you will quickly find yourself without friends.

KD03

• ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 12:05:41 PM »

Do copious research before you go so you know something about the school (which you should do anyway) and have some questions in the can so you can sound semi-intelligent. Don't try too hard to sound smart though. Be friendly, polite - if you don't already know how to do that your problems extend beyond the abilities or scope of this forum.