Law School Discussion

-

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tips for Impressing Admissions Officers on Your Campus Visit
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 09:14:22 AM »
I'd wear brown shoes, nice dark jeans, a sweater, and a coat.  It's not an interview, just a tour.

But don't you have the opportunity to perhaps speak with admissions staff?

Just wear a black suit. It's the easiest possible thing to throw on and then you're covered for whatever the day may bring. Then again, I used to have to wear suits to work everyday so it doesn't feel that dressed up to me...
It's great to wear a suit, but you need an excuse for it - So like if you live and work in a city with a couple of law schools you are interested in, schedule a tour or informational interview after work. That way, you show up looking sharp, and telegraphing that you are responsible at your job - but you aren't overly or awkwardly formal for no reason.

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 09:29:53 AM »
Just wear a black suit. It's the easiest possible thing to throw on and then you're covered for whatever the day may bring.

Such as a funeral.

Anyway, a video was recently posted here from a local TV news station with interviews of both the Law and Medical School Admissions Deans here at Michigan. Dean Z talked about why the law school doesn't do interviews - it's been shown that they don't help you make better decisions, you'd have to farm out the responsibility to busy alumni, etc. When they were talking about the medical school side, the admissions dean said that the interviews were primarily for recruiting purposes, rather than evaluating the applicant (although every possible admit does need to be interviewed).

I found this really interesting - even those that do formal interviews don't really use it to evaluate the applicants. At most, it seems, they're attempting to weed out the whackos. Those who think they can make a big difference in their admissions chances through some sort of informal interview should take note.

I think the best you can do is 1) don't be a whacko and 2) show your interest in the school. They want to recruit you - so allow yourself to be recruited. I don't think it will make much a difference, but it will probably be less awkward than trying to connect to your PS in an informal conversation. (and don't wear a suit, but if you do, go for something other than black)

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 09:31:29 AM »
Just wear a black suit. It's the easiest possible thing to throw on and then you're covered for whatever the day may bring.

Such as a funeral.
:D :D :D I laughed!

MHLM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 09:34:37 AM »

Such as a funeral.

Dude, a black suit is definitely not appropriate for ladies to wear to a funeral. That would be a black skirt or dress.

And apparently I have nothing substantive to contribute to this thread, so just completely ignore me.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 09:35:50 AM »
The guys on the BC tour with me wore black slacks, blue button-down shirts, and one wore a tie.
The girls ranged from jeans and sweaters to black pants and fancier tops.

I think it's more about looking neat. One of the guys was dressed up, but his shirt was really wrinkled and it was off-putting.
We spent most of the visit sitting down or walking behind our tour guide, so I'm not sure how much he even noticed our clothing.

MHLM

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 09:36:42 AM »
The guys on the BC tour with me wore black slacks, blue button-down shirts, and one wore a tie.

I think it's more about looking neat. One of the guys was dressed up, but his shirt was really wrinkled and it was off-putting.
We spent most of the visit sitting down or walking behind our tour guide, so I'm not sure how much he even noticed our clothing.

On another note, any word on BC yet..?

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 09:38:59 AM »

On another note, any word on BC yet..?

Unfortunately, no.
I called them yesterday and talked to the assistant director for admissions.
He didn't want to give me any decision over the phone without verifying my identity, and I couldn't remember my LSAC account # off the top of my head. I almost pulled over to the side of I-20 to open my laptop and get it out.
I emailed it to him last night, so *maybe* I'll hear back from him today.
::crosses fingers::

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 09:41:41 AM »
On the other side of the coin, I think overdressing will make you look like just as much of a d-bag as if you underdressed. You definitely don't want to be the guy in the three-piece suit walking around with a current student in jeans and a hoodie. I think a campus visit is an example of when "business casual" is the most appropriate attire.

Maybe someone should start a thread of expected attire for a campus visit at X school...

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 09:43:14 AM »
I think it's important to fly your gang colors right when you visit a law school. If you are going to visit UCLA, for example, remember to leave your blue bandana on the left side (yeah, that's da crip side).

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 09:48:13 AM »
I'd wear brown shoes, nice dark jeans, a sweater, and a coat.  It's not an interview, just a tour.

But don't you have the opportunity to perhaps speak with admissions staff?

I don't know.  I've never visited a law school.  For girls it's easy.  Wear black pants and a blouse or a sweater, with a black coat.  You won't look too casual or too formal.

This is close to what I did. The two guys on the tour had on jeans.