-
« on: December 19, 2007, 08:12:07 AM »
-

Maddie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tips for Impressing Admissions Officers on Your Campus Visit
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:15:23 AM »
I only visited a few, but they seemed the most impressed when I had legitimate knowledge of specific aspects of the school that would be a good fit for me. 

gclemen1

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:17:20 AM »
So I'm planning on visiting a few schools soon, and while I know formal interviews are not the norm for most schools, I'd like to use it as an opportunity to make an impression on the admissions staff and/or any faculty who have decision making capabilities.  I want to show them who I am and how I am unique and what I can offer to the school and the program.  How do I go about doing this?  Anyone have any experience or tips?  Things that you think or know have worked in the past?  Have you brought up your personal statement, tidbit about yourself, etc.

The good news is you can do this for sure.  The same people that give you the tours usually look at your app down the line, so make your name stick out (in a good way).  Be very friendly, outgoing, polite, and inquisitive.  It definitely can't hurt to have an adcomm know your name.  I did this for Emory, and truly believed that helped to assuage my criminal record.  I didn't mention my PS, but I did mention tidbits.  And before I left, I made sure to say "I'm about to send my app in, so be on the lookout for {insert name here}".  Kinda corny, but hey, what the hell.  It showed that I really wanted to be there.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 08:34:45 AM »
Wear a Che Guevara t-shirt to impress them with your social awareness.

I got your joke, Stotan. And laughed out loud with no one else in the house. I would add that it would be helpful to make a few, casual, negative remarks about our current President just so the adcomms can subtly see your leftist tendencies and thus succeed in their efforts to make their college campuses even more liberal.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 08:36:15 AM »

I thought you were supposed to dress up...

Hah I was kidding.  Jeez, no one gets my jokes anymore.

You seem like a relatively normal person.  Be yourself.  I wouldn't get too dressed up if I were you. It's easier for women to look appropriately casual than men though.
Dockers, a baby blue polo buttondown with no tie, some black shoes and a black belt. Is this so hard?

MHLM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 08:36:59 AM »

I got your joke, Stotan. And laughed out loud with no one else in the house. I would add that it would be helpful to make a few, casual, negative remarks about our current President just so the adcomms can subtly see your leftist tendencies and thus succeed in their efforts to make their college campuses even more liberal.

EDIT: Oops! I forgot we are being funny and facetious in this thread.

Unless Especially if you're visiting Regent...

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 08:44:08 AM »

Hilarious.

Dockers, a baby blue polo buttondown with no tie, some black shoes and a black belt. Is this so hard?

Khakis (or htf it's spelled) are for children under 14.
Dockers =|= Khakis. I don't like khakis.

http://www.dockersstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2854446&cp=2271557.2282262&parentPage=family

For an example of a reasonably casual yet clean cut look.

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 08:54:05 AM »

Hilarious.

Khakis (or htf it's spelled) are for children under 14.
Dockers =|= Khakis. I don't like khakis.

http://www.dockersstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2854446&cp=2271557.2282262&parentPage=family

For an example of a reasonably casual yet clean cut look.

Classy bearly.  Where are the pics of you sporting this look?
LOL. I'm not going to out myself here.

I don't like business casual, but you gotta wear something that makes you look reasonably responsible. I don't think going to a law school tour with a ripped up Steve Miller Band T-Shirt, baggy corduroys and some tattered cloth sandals would leave the best impression.

MHLM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 08:58:29 AM »
I'd wear brown shoes, nice dark jeans, a sweater, and a coat.  It's not an interview, just a tour.

But don't you have the opportunity to perhaps speak with admissions staff?

Just wear a black suit. It's the easiest possible thing to throw on and then you're covered for whatever the day may bring. Then again, I used to have to wear suits to work everyday so it doesn't feel that dressed up to me...

MHLM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 09:01:36 AM »
I'd wear brown shoes, nice dark jeans, a sweater, and a coat.  It's not an interview, just a tour.

But don't you have the opportunity to perhaps speak with admissions staff?

Just wear a black suit. It's the easiest possible thing to throw on and then you're covered for whatever the day may bring.

Yes isn't showing up for a tour in a suit a little presumptuous?  I'd say business casual is a good balance.

I wouldn't say it's presumptuous...plus, for much of your tour won't you have a--presumably long--coat on anyway? You'd only have to "reveal" that you're wearing a suit if the opportunity to meet with admissions presents itself.