Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: <<< The Book of Mormon  (Read 2813 times)

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
<<< The Book of Mormon
« on: December 18, 2007, 02:47:05 PM »
Who's read it?

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: <<< The Book of Mormon
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 05:19:23 PM »
I love how the arbitrary posts have kicked into high gear now as we're all straining to occupy our minds while we wait for our scores...

(no offense to the Mormons...)

Hannibal

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love it when a plan comes together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 05:28:03 PM »
I have.  How is this under "studying for the LSAT?"
Attending: Stanford
In: Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Chicago($$$), Berkeley, Michigan($$$$), Columbia($$$$), Penn($$$$), Virginia($$$$), Duke($$$$), Northwestern($$$$)

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 06:45:12 PM »
I have.  How is this under "studying for the LSAT?"

Surely very few people are studying for the LSAT right now.  Should we just shut this forum down for a while?  I just noticed the huge ad on the left hand side of this page.  I didn't know they advertised like that.

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 06:52:21 PM »
I picture it like we are all grounded to a small, white room with no windows.  As we sit here and wait for our mother to come and let us out, we might as well be talking about something.  I'm tired of trying to predict my score.  If I could predict it, why on earth would I even be on here fretting every moment of the day? 

On another note, I read the Book of Mormon and I don't really understand what is so weird about it.  Honestly, I can't see how the history of the book would conflict with known American history.  It actually offers more of an explanation as to the origin of the Native Americans than does anything else I've ever read.  I don't think I really saw anything that conflicts with the Bible either. 

jamie9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 06:58:27 PM »
No offense to the active mormons on here, there's some incredibly great people in the LDS churcho including my parents, and like any church, things that are very good and some not-so-great things about it; but I've read the book of mormon several times and not only is it incredibly boring and repetitive, but until the recent change, historically and scientifically disprovable.

It actually offers more of an explanation as to the origin of the Native Americans than does anything else I've ever read. 

Maybe more interesting but certainly not more accurate.  Jews turned into Native Americans?  Right.

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 07:04:17 PM »
No offense to the active mormons on here, there's some incredibly great people in the LDS churcho including my parents, and like any church, things that are very good and some not-so-great things about it; but I've read the book of mormon several times and not only is it incredibly boring and repetitive, but until the recent change, historically and scientifically disprovable.

It actually offers more of an explanation as to the origin of the Native Americans than does anything else I've ever read. 

Maybe more interesting but certainly not more accurate.  Jews turned into Native Americans?  Right.

What is more accurate?  That they materialized out of shrubs?  I'm pretty sure the Bible indicates that Just about everyone came from Abraham.  Isn't that right?

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 07:07:47 PM »

Maybe more interesting but certainly not more accurate.  Jews turned into Native Americans?  Right.

That would explain a lot actualluy...

I have not read the book of Mormom, but ever since I used the word "genocide" in a post LSD has been showing me adds for a "Free Book of Mormon" not sure what that means.

Perhaps it means that it can cure you of your genocidal tendencies.

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 07:11:54 PM »
That's a scary thought.  What if the ad "knows" something?  Beware, Big Brother is watching.

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 07:24:38 PM »

Just to clarify, the change was made to the Book of Mormon's introduction (which is not accepted church doctrine), not to the text of the Book of Mormon.  An inaccurate claim in the introduction does not disprove the Book of Mormon because the introduction is not part of the book that Joseph Smith first published.

I picture it like we are all grounded to a small, white room with no windows.  As we sit here and wait for our mother to come and let us out, we might as well be talking about something.  I'm tired of trying to predict my score.  If I could predict it, why on earth would I even be on here fretting every moment of the day? 

On another note, I read the Book of Mormon and I don't really understand what is so weird about it.  Honestly, I can't see how the history of the book would conflict with known American history.  It actually offers more of an explanation as to the origin of the Native Americans than does anything else I've ever read.  I don't think I really saw anything that conflicts with the Bible either. 

I don't think that most Christians object to the actual text of the Book of Mormon; rather, they reject the idea that there could be another book of scripture outside of the Bible.  They also object to things that church leaders have said since the Book of Mormon was first published.  I think that if more people read the Book of Mormon and realized that it contains the core doctrines of the LDS church, there would be less negative publicity about the church.